Audio Failure - Ports Used?

martin

Hi All,

Trying to overcome the audio failure with Windows Messenger that is being
caused by my ADSL modem/router. I've contacted the manufacturer who has
advised that to overcome the problems I need to set Port Forwarding on the
router.

So, can anyone tell me what ports Windows Messenger needs to use to allow
audio to work? Not interested in video, just the voice audio feature to
chat with others that have a mic.

TIA

Greetings Martin,

Just setting port forwarding isn't going to solve this issue, although if you're interested
the ports used are 5004 through 65535 UDP.

For voice to properly work, the router must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) in order
for a direct connection to be established (like voice functionality). A number of router and
modem manufacturers now support UPnP, but you may require a firmware update or need to turn
UPnP in the configuration.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Martin" <invalid.vk2umj@invalid.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Trying to overcome the audio failure with Windows Messenger that is being caused by my ADSL
> modem/router. I've contacted the manufacturer who has advised that to overcome the
> problems I need to set Port Forwarding on the router.
>
> So, can anyone tell me what ports Windows Messenger needs to use to allow audio to work?
> Not interested in video, just the voice audio feature to chat with others that have a mic.
>
> TIA

martin

> Greetings Martin,
>
> Just setting port forwarding isn't going to solve this issue, although if
> you're interested the ports used are 5004 through 65535 UDP.
>
> For voice to properly work, the router must support Universal Plug and
> Play (UPnP) in order for a direct connection to be established (like voice
> functionality). A number of router and modem manufacturers now support
> UPnP, but you may require a firmware update or need to turn UPnP in the
> configuration

Hi Jonathon,

Been through all that - I emailed Netcomm and asked about the UPnP and
Messenger and the answer I got back was Port Forwarding needs to be set to
overcome the problem. I know with Echolink (amateur radio voice over
internet program) I needed to set Port Forwarding on 3 ports for that to
work through the router.

It's a Netcomm NB1300 ADSL Modem/Router, and as far as I can see there is no
UPnP setting in configeration and I presume (based on Netcomm's answer) that
it doesn't support UPnP. It was ISP provided so I had little choice in it,
but it is only a few months old so I really would've thought Netcomm would
support this......

Does Messenger really need ALL the ports from 5004 to 65535 to work on audio
only? Is there a lower number of ports used if no video is needed???? Just
seems like a lot when you need to set each port separately in the router!!!
Unless someone in here has some other experience with the NB1300??????

HELP!!!!!