Thank god for intel - no more GForce crashes

G

Just wanted to share my bad AMD expreience.

I got a 1.2ghz thunderbird together with ecs k7vza (133mhz via chipset).. System froze up once every 24 hrs at default settings!

I then went for ASUS the "quality" brand!! A7M266... What a laugh. Crashed all the time with my ASUS gforce graphics card!

ECS/ASUS technical suppord never responded to my emails, still haven't after several months now! And I even included very detailed information.

These two setups cost me a lot of grief, before I switched to Intel P4 cpu & 850 chipset.

Intel costs a lot, BUT IT WORKS! Sadly, I can't say that for AMD anymore :-(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Duh, it's the always inferior VIA chipset, after your initial problems with the VIA chipset it seems like you would have learned and got something with an ALi or SiS chipset.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
"... Intel costs a lot, BUT IT WORKS! Sadly, I can't say that for AMD anymore :-( ..."

Good grief ... has nothing to do with AMD.

You didn't mention what detonator drivers you were running. The later versions like 23.11 has problems. One such problem goes by the name "infinite loop" bug. This problem has been known to surface on ALL platforms (Intel included). It's the price you pay for running beta drivers.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with this under Windows XP on nForce.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
can you explain this infinite loop bug? i had a problem with win 2k when i tried to upgrade to the new nvidia drivers. i was wondering if this was a known problem.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Search the net using <A HREF="http://www.google.com" target="_new">Google</A> (search words "nvidia infinite loop"). <A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?q=infinite+loop+nvidia&hl=en&start=0&sa=N" target="_new">http://www.google.com/search?q=infinite+loop+nvidia&hl=en&start=0&sa=N</A>

So named after a bugcheck in Windows XP caught this ("thread stuck in driver"). Can happen in all Windows OS, and across platforms.

If you are running version 21.83 or above, try running 21.81 to see if this fixes the problem. This suggestion is based on the anecdotes I've seen on the net.

Here's my personal example, Det 23.11 driver will crash 3DMarks 2001 under Windows ME on my machine (nForce based). When I loaded 21.81 drivers 3Dmarks 2001 no longer crashed (games included), but strangely enough Det 23.11 driver works just fine under Windows XP for me!

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
"... It should be AMD's problem since AGP is also comtroled by north bridge. ..."

How would you know who is to blame? May be nVidia fault. Recent evidence is starting to point in that direction.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He said it crashed with that card, but never gave any evidence that it was an AGP problem that caused the crash. My guess is that is probably would have crashed with a different card as well. I started noticing data loss on VIA southbridges all the way back in 1998, but these got more severe with the release of the 686B.
Heck, with the limmited information he provided it could have even been a power supply problem.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
lol
and how many people have the same setup as him, and might have no real problems like him?
lol
blame machine...
to really put the blame one ANYONE, you would have to really research, ant troubleshoot, and compare, and benchmark, and have more than one system to test parts in...
then you would have to test with many different variables. then compare results with others...and THEN, you might be able to place blame on a certain company.
i can blame intel for gouging my wallet...their stuff is too expensive!
and that is not questionable...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll agree with you that Intel's price structure sucks, but remeber that it's been the same ever since the 486! That's right, the 486 cost as much as $400 at it's release, now add inflation and see for yourself that Intel's price structure has gone virtually unchanged for 10 years!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
lol, i remember when my dad bought our first pc..the 486dx266mhz...lol
that thing was damn expensive...but at the time...it was pretty much the only option...especially since i was so young, and my dad just needed a computer...and amd was not as big as it is today...(speaking as far as publicity goes)
but now, all that has changed, and amd is quite a competitor...
an price wise...well...ahem..i think there is no contest there... :wink:

-DAvid

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Hi,
I built a dragon+ and 1700+ and at first I had problems. I had to get a name brand (400 watt) power supply and update to latest 4 in 1 drivers. Also had a problem with my SB card. But now its very stable. Yes I had to work out a few more bugs than normal but I think this has as much to do with intels power than anything else. Everyone makes shure thier stuff works on intel stuff first. If you want intel to take over all of the computer market then you will really be complaining about price. I have no problems with my Geforce 3 card. If you cant work out bugs than you shouldnt be building you own computers. Buy from dell or gateway or whatever. I had an intel i815 baord with p3 733. It was stable but it would need rebooting on a daily basis if i was running multiple programs like ACDSee pic viewer, windows media player and internet explorer all at the same time. Windows media is an unstable little bitch. Might have to do with those movie files i d/l from the news groups doh!

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
HAHA....yea no doubt...ive built at least ten amd machines with almost every chipset available for amd (amd761, kt266a, sis 735) and yet have I had ONE single problem...my suggestion is not to jump to conclusions that amd is terrible....the best thing you can do is to read and listen because it does work...=]..

(if it doesnt work the the first thing before bitching about a product is to CHECK THE USER!!) hehe

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
My uncle built a computer and got me into it. He built a 233MHz with 4MB of video, and I built a 650 AMD with 32MB of video. going back a couple years. Funny thing is he built his to play games, so did I, but you can tell who did some reading first. haha

Complicated Nit Picker

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
oh...when i read your post before, where you quoted me, and then it said complicated nitpicker, i thought that was something you were saying about me....so i didnt know where you were coming from....
that is why i said ?????
lol
WOOPs..that was your SIG..
MAH BAD!

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What a stupid thing to say. Since SiS and ALi can build a chipset that joe-blow can set up with no experience, I cannot justify your answer. Can't believe so many people make so many excuses on VIA's behalf.