Windows Messenger versus MSN Messenger?

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between MSN Messenger and the
Windows Messenger I already have available as part of my Windows XP install?
Are they compatible with each other or completely separate IM applications?

Thanks in advance to those who give me advice on this.

Pip
2 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger versus messenger

    Greetings Pip,

    Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
    different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
    services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the
    most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
    personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed
    on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "pip22" <pip22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me what's the difference between MSN Messenger and the
    > Windows Messenger I already have available as part of my Windows XP install?
    > Are they compatible with each other or completely separate IM applications?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to those who give me advice on this.
    >
    > Pip

    I have windows messenger- I have two names- on my home network- I can ask for
    aND GET REMOTE ASSISTANCE- WHEN i TRY TO HELP MY 83 YR OLD DAD OUT OF STATE-
    IT SAYS NAME CANT BE RESOLVED.
    i READ ABOUT nam ETC. i AM LOST! sorry for the caps

    "pip22" wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me what's the difference between MSN Messenger and the
    > Windows Messenger I already have available as part of my Windows XP install?
    > Are they compatible with each other or completely separate IM applications?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to those who give me advice on this.
    >
    > Pip

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP