MSN webcam and audio problems... ports need to be open and..

Tags:
  • Webcams
  • Connection
  • Audio
  • MSN
  • Windows XP
December 16, 2004 2:08:32 AM

2 problems. Trying to connect with webcam and audio.

User 1 = Desktop 2.4Ghz 512mem, Gforce4 video
OS- windows 2003 server
MSN version - MSN 7.0 beta (because 6.2 is having
connection issues)
Sound card - sound blaster
Webcam - Creative lab webcam GO
Router - Linksys BEFSR11 latest firmware update
connection - cable charter communications
firewall - ZoneAlarm 4 (disable/shutdown when testing)

user 2 = Dell Laptop 800 Latitude
OS - Windows XP with SP2
MSN version - MSN 6.2
built in sound card
Webcam - creativelabs webcam LIVE
Router - Linksys 4 port router firmware up to date
connection - cable time warner
firewall - none

I read that UPNP needs to be enabled. Do I enable UPNP or forward
ports to a specific comptuer? User 1 linksys router has this option as
a "forwarding" capability. Is there a different way to turn it on?
Also is there any ports that need to be forwarded to the computers
specificly?

1st problem is - User 1 and user 2 can connect to each other with
webcam but cannot use audio, been through the "audio / video wizard"
everything worked fine. Also same setup works fine in Yahoo msg audio
and video. But in MSN the audio, after inviting each other, and both
"accepts". It times out I assume, because it says "network or computer
you are trying to reach is experiencing a problem. Audio conversation
with user 2 has ended". Seems like it never connected

2nd problem - both users can use webcam and able to connect just fine,
but USER 1 has a problem with the webcam disconnecting automatically
after about 5 mins and needs to invite User 2 again. User 2 does not
experience this problem at all. User 1 already unchecked all the "show
me idle after 5 mins" or "show me away after 20 mins" thinking that was
the problem. Problem sitll persists for USER 1. Any ideas why?

More about : msn webcam audio problems ports open

Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:09:01 AM

hi just wanted to say im having exactly the same problem,
with msn messenger. I can use webcam but when i try
audio the same happens to me!..Now, my friend has other
users with audio and they get along just fine.It seems
its my end the problem lies. BUT, i can use audio on
Yahoo messenger and Windows messenger!!!So that makes me
think the problem lies within MSN, maybe its known to MSN
and they re trying to fix it????

Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:10:39 PM

This will work!

Yours are common problems. You must turn on UPnP within
the router settings. You must also have WinXP with UPnP
enabled in Services.

set up the audio speakers and mic.

Video may or not be available in that wizard depending on
your drivers. WDM drivers for your WebCam are critical for
video conferencing to properly function. VFW for a
WebCam. Lots of luck here!

REMEMBER we are beta testers for M$. The video
conferencing portion of this program are cutting edge,
(Yahoo does not yet have the feature.)

January 15, 2005 4:33:54 PM

--
flyerusa
March 8, 2005 5:49:02 AM

MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video requirements:

1. If using a modem/router it must be UPnP compatible. Set Zone Alarm to
medium or shutdown, but if you are proficient with the settings, allow MSN
Messenger 6.2.0205 access to the Internet.

2. On the Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection, go to
Properties, and the General tab should show a check mark only on Client for
Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). No check on File and
Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on QoS Packet Scheduler.

3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in Don't
allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN Messenger
6.2.0205 and UPnP Framework as being active.

4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks, except for
Internet Gateway Device Discovery (A), and for UPnP User Interface (B). Click
Ok, Next, and after clicking Next the Windows Wizard Component will run.
Click Finish; now the UPnP will automatically open all required ports.

5. Sign in on Messenger and run Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. In the Tools >
Options > Connection tab, you should read You are connected to the Internet
through a UPnP symmetric NAT. (Administrator); if you are using a dial-up
line it will read You are connected to the Internet using a direct
connection. Now check the Windows Firewall Exceptions list, the MSN Messenger
6.2.0205 and UPnP Framework will now have a check marks and the required
ports automatically opend.

6. Both Windows XP users sides should have similar setups, with working
webcams and microphones. Remember that one side can have dial-up and the
other a UPnP compatible modem/router.

(A) Allow you to find and control internet connection sharing hardware and
software that uses UPnP.

(B) Display icons in My Network Places for the UPnP devices detected on the
network; also opens the required Windows Firewall ports.

Hope this will help, it has with many people. Your friend, Efrain.

"AdamWorkingHard@hotmail.com" wrote:

> 2 problems. Trying to connect with webcam and audio.
>
> User 1 = Desktop 2.4Ghz 512mem, Gforce4 video
> OS- windows 2003 server
> MSN version - MSN 7.0 beta (because 6.2 is having
> connection issues)
> Sound card - sound blaster
> Webcam - Creative lab webcam GO
> Router - Linksys BEFSR11 latest firmware update
> connection - cable charter communications
> firewall - ZoneAlarm 4 (disable/shutdown when testing)
>

> user 2 = Dell Laptop 800 Latitude
> OS - Windows XP with SP2
> MSN version - MSN 6.2
> built in sound card
> Webcam - creativelabs webcam LIVE
> Router - Linksys 4 port router firmware up to date
> connection - cable time warner
> firewall - none
>
> I read that UPNP needs to be enabled. Do I enable UPNP or forward
> ports to a specific comptuer? User 1 linksys router has this option as
> a "forwarding" capability. Is there a different way to turn it on?
> Also is there any ports that need to be forwarded to the computers
> specificly?
>

> 1st problem is - User 1 and user 2 can connect to each other with
> webcam but cannot use audio, been through the "audio / video wizard"
> everything worked fine. Also same setup works fine in Yahoo msg audio
> and video. But in MSN the audio, after inviting each other, and both
> "accepts". It times out I assume, because it says "network or computer
> you are trying to reach is experiencing a problem. Audio conversation
> with user 2 has ended". Seems like it never connected
>
> 2nd problem - both users can use webcam and able to connect just fine,
> but USER 1 has a problem with the webcam disconnecting automatically
> after about 5 mins and needs to invite User 2 again. User 2 does not
> experience this problem at all. User 1 already unchecked all the "show
> me idle after 5 mins" or "show me away after 20 mins" thinking that was
> the problem. Problem sitll persists for USER 1. Any ideas why?

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:03:19 AM

Efrain, I have followed your steps religiously, and the only
discrepancy I have, is that I am hard-wired to DSL, which
I guess qualifies as "if you are using a dial-up line" in
Step 5.....and what I read there is "You are directly connected
to a .NET Messenger Service". I assume that everything is what
you expect it to be.

However, my modem was NOT UPnP Compatible........it is a Westell
modem for DSL. I worked with my ISP's Tech Help On-Line
(BellSouth Fastaccess), and they took over my computer and
reprogrammed the modem, and now I believe it is supposed to be
UPnP Compatible.

I've checked and Webcam video still seems to be working. Later
today I hope to try the audio connections in MSN Messenger again.

Efrain wrote:
> [...]
>>webcam but cannot use audio, been through the "audio / video wizard"
>>everything worked fine. Also same setup works fine in Yahoo msg audio
>>and video. But in MSN the audio, after inviting each other, and both
>>"accepts". It times out I assume, because it says "network or computer
>>you are trying to reach is experiencing a problem. Audio conversation
>>with user 2 has ended". Seems like it never connected
>>
>>2nd problem - both users can use webcam and able to connect just fine,
>>but USER 1 has a problem with the webcam disconnecting automatically
>>after about 5 mins and needs to invite User 2 again. User 2 does not
>>experience this problem at all. User 1 already unchecked all the "show
>>me idle after 5 mins" or "show me away after 20 mins" thinking that was
>>the problem. Problem sitll persists for USER 1. Any ideas why?

William B. Lurie
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:25:05 PM

Bill: Years ago the Puerto Rico Telephone Co. handed out with the ADSL
service a ZyXel Prestige 642M-11 Bridge/Router. An obsolete piece of junk
whose internal firmware couldn't be upgreded to UPnP. On my own I purchased a
Vigor 2600, capable of firmware upgrades via Internet and UPnP protocol
compatible. It's old but I love how it works. The messenger audio problems
are things of the past. Now I have upgraded my service to ADSL 1024/512 and
they have given me 2Wire modem/routers (two of them), UPnP compatible. I
still use my Vigor.
For what you have told me, I conclude that your problem is with your
modem/router. Check it for UPnP compatibility if you want to use it with the
ADSL service, or switch back to the dial up super slow service, which needs
no modem/router. In your position I will have purchased a new wireless, UPnP
compatible equipment.

"billurie@nospam.org" wrote:

> [...]
> >>webcam but cannot use audio, been through the "audio / video wizard"
> >>everything worked fine. Also same setup works fine in Yahoo msg audio
> >>and video. But in MSN the audio, after inviting each other, and both
> >>"accepts". It times out I assume, because it says "network or computer
> >>you are trying to reach is experiencing a problem. Audio conversation
> >>with user 2 has ended". Seems like it never connected
> >>
> >>2nd problem - both users can use webcam and able to connect just fine,
> >>but USER 1 has a problem with the webcam disconnecting automatically
> >>after about 5 mins and needs to invite User 2 again. User 2 does not
> >>experience this problem at all. User 1 already unchecked all the "show
> >>me idle after 5 mins" or "show me away after 20 mins" thinking that was
> >>the problem. Problem sitll persists for USER 1. Any ideas why?

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 5:10:58 PM

Efrain:

I really don't want to add more hardware to this.
Besides, BellSouth took over my machine remotely, and
reprogrammed my Westell modem so that it is now UPnP..
and it says so when I check where you told me to.

They said get back to them if that doesn't fix it...
and so I shall. Thanks for all the good advice.
Bill

--
William B. Lurie
!