VIA kt266a...4in1 drivers

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
i had to format my computer and installed the 4in1 drivers and for some reason my cd-rom disappeared from my computer....it intializes on startup and even with using a boot disk i can read cd's in dos....but after the installation of the 4in1 drivers i couldn't find my cd rom in windows... and i can't reinstall it.....any thoughts??

Nice people are kool...Mean people just suck :lol:

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Have you gone in to your bios and made sure your CD is on auto. There's a couple of things to do there, it should tell you. Or have you tried setting the bios to default or clearing the cmos?

Complicated Nit Picker

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
yea i've already tried all of that.......im guessing that something is conflicting when i install the drivers...but i have no idea wat.... the cd rom loads in bios....my bios initalizes and bios settings are set to auto detect

G

Had the same problem a while back. Just lost both my cd roms for no reason. Could find them in dos and in the bios but not in Windows. I was running Windows ME and could not reinstall the cd roms...so I reinstalled windows and all was well. I know it takes some time but it did the trick.
Good Luck
Just remembered... the problem turned out to be that Windows had lost my secondary ide controller which had both my cd roms on it. Might check your device manager and see if you still have both controllers

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by U235 on 01/17/02 01:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jackzheng

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I had the similar problem as you do. After I install the Win98SE, the CD-ROM is available, but after I install 4in1, it is not available anymore under windows. However, it can be solved by skipping one of that 4 driver, which is sth realted with CD-ROM(I forgot the name). My mobo is MSI KT266a Pro2. I think that new Bios version might fix this problem, and if you install win2K or winXP, the problem will dissapear as well. Because I have upgrade my bios and using winXP now, I haven't met such problem.
I also setup another pc for my paretnts, AthlonXP+Ep 8KHA+. I have no this problem with both win2k and winXP.
Still have any question, please let me know.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Does the CD-ROM show up in Device Manager but with an exclamation mark?

If it does boot Windows to Safe Mode and in Device Manager delete all the CD-ROM drives that you see. Windows will redetect your CD-ROM(s) when you next reboot which should fix your problem.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
i have the same board as you... would it be the dms or dma that is causing my cd-rom to dissappear?? since the 4in1 drivers install new ide drivers....do you know what opition it is???

SkuZzZz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
to remove ide controller drivers run regedit, goto hklm_local machine->enum and delete the mf folder, then windows will put its own driver in, you will then probably be able to access your cdrom, then you can reinstall the ide drivers from the 4in1 if you wish.....

jackzheng

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I am not sure whether SkuZzZz's idea works or not. I remember that I just skipped the sth about ATAPI driver, but I forgot the exact name. In addition, use nomal setup for 4in1, so that you can choose which one you want to install. Because now I use winXP, and that driver is invisible in the setup menue under WinXP(probably not compaliable with winNT core), so I can't check it for you, but I might look for that driver folder to see whether there is any clue later.
Earlier version Bios of this MSI board also have problem with Cherry keyboard, which brought me a little trouble, but it has been solved by Bios update.
By the way, which OS do you install? I think that probably only ME and 98SE have this problem. Have you ever tried the newest Bios.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jackzheng on 01/18/02 09:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
You could try the 3.14 IDE Miniport driver from this site: <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm</A>.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you using Nero Burning ROM by any chance?

<i><font color=purple>The signature of the year!</font color=purple></i>

Rassler

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2001
For those with the same symptoms as I... just don't enable DMA when installing the 4in1 drivers
Hope this helps

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
I have tried to install 4in1 drivers twice. After a fresh install of windows the original 4in1 drivers installed fine.
every time I have treid to upgrade my 4in1 drivers since then my computer locks up before the install completes. I can complete the 4in1 install in safe mode. I'm not shure if
the safe mode install worked because I dont know where to look for the latest version. There is nothing in the device manager that says 4in1 version # ect. My system seems ok most of the time. How do I tell what version I have? Not shure I want to deal with a missing cd problem though.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
I reinstalled windows and all was back to normal when this happened to me. You should try that.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
huh? So you reinstalled windows. Did you also reinstall 4in1? If not, whats the point? The questions was about problems with 4in1.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>