Sign in with
Your question

ECS K7S5A On-Board Audio and Headphones

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2002 11:26:29 PM

I have the newest drivers, and the sound is great with my speakers. However, the sound is very very low when I hook up my headphones. This is really crappy, since thats what I mainly use, especially for games.

My previous board worked fine. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know what I might be able to tweak or change to fix it?

Thanks

Sevensins
January 16, 2002 1:50:01 AM

Just in case.

Have you tried the volume controls in Windows? Your speakers have their own control, so you just turn it up, but you can 'turn up Windows' and turn down your speakers.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2002 2:40:15 AM

Quote:
Just in case.

Have you tried the volume controls in Windows? Your speakers have their own control, so you just turn it up, but you can 'turn up Windows' and turn down your speakers.

ha ha, Yes, first place I looked. I knew someone would ask that just to be sure. At least someone suggested something, I asked this in another hardware forum and didn't even get any suggestions.

Its a very annoying problem. I would just buy a real soundcard, but I just got the motherboard, new chip, new vid card, and a few other miscellaneous stuff..and was able to keep it within my current money allotment.

Any other suggestions please...

Sevensins
Related resources
January 16, 2002 3:35:34 AM

Try other headphones.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2002 8:16:01 AM

The onboard audio does NOT have proper amplifier and i think it is the posible reason for it. Either try other headphones or use external amplifier(such as the one that active speakers have).Or the best solution is to buy a new sound card.
January 16, 2002 8:30:32 AM

hmm...couldnt find anything in the manual.
about requirements for headphones.
but check in the sound options in the control panel, and change to headphones...the speaker settings.
i dont know if that will make a difference.
but i cant think of anything else other than maybe ur headphones are crapping out?
i dunno.
you tried the headphones on another device, like a portable cd player...just to make sure that they arent damaged.
also, they arent the kind with an inline volume control?
i have some sony headphones that have this little slider on the wire that can turn down the volume.
maybe that accidentally got turned down.
i say this because once, i thought that my headphones were blown out, but it was because that slider was turned down.
check that out...ad let us know...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
January 16, 2002 8:49:32 AM

yeah, but you can run headphones off the audio jack. i have done it on my sisters computer...but since i am not using the onboard sound on my computer...i cant try it on mine...but if i put my headphones on my sound card, it will sound fine.
you obviously cant run it at the same volume as powered speakers...but i think that is a givin...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2002 8:49:54 PM

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, but nothing worked. I tried my headphones on a regular stereo and they worked fine; as i figured.

I did try another pair of headphones I have. They make it louder, but not as much as on my previous board. They are fine for now though.

Thanks to all

Sevensins
January 16, 2002 10:10:43 PM

This has been asked before, but just in case you did not try it, Does your speaker set have a headphone jack on it. Most do and this will allow you to increase the volume considerably.

If it works for you then don't fix it.
!