vfxxx

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
I am planning to build a dual athlon system. From my research, I have found the following motherboards:

Asus A7M 266D
Tyan TigerMPX (S2466) ---just came out

Which one should I go for? I don't care about the price, I just want a stable motherboard. Any comment would help.

Thanks!

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can't comment on the Asus one but I had a good experience with a Tyan board. 2 1.2Ghz TBird running a Citrix server, no problem concerning the stability, up and running since the first day. Really faster than another IBM dual PIII 933 we have and same stability.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

G

Well, i havent got any personel experiences with either of them, but i have heard some very promesing words about the Tyan. Tyan itself has dominated the dual market, and i would think that would be the best choice for your system.

cxl6909

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
You forgot another mb which is MSI K7D Master (MS-6501) here is link http://www.msi.com.tw/products/server/server_board/6501.htm
But tell you a secret...GigaByte is going to hit those three dual amd mpx mb later, cuz I saw a demo amd mpx on my local area. This baby got 3-32bit pci, 2-64bit pic, sound on bard, Ethernet lan, 4 ddram slots, and EIDE Raid support, 2 usb rear, and maybe v2.o usb. I hope I can tell you more but there is no description of it only show demo only.

If you dont want to wait, you can go for MSI (first choice), Asus (second) and Tyan (last cuz only suppor to 3gb ddr ram). But I would suggest you to wait a little more to have more features dual amdmpx mb out to market. Of course, price will be a little higher.

vfxxx

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks for u guys comment! I finally decided to get the Tyan MPX S2466N board. Simply because Tyan has its success from the ThunderK7 board. Also it has the built-in Lan features and 3Gb of Ram is definitely more than enough for me. But I am not sure how Asus will perform as a dual system. Also I don't like built-in audio features in the Assus board.

Thanks! I will get back to u guys once I got my system setup, probably 2 weeks away.