k7s5a problem

G

I have a problem with the k7s5a. When I start it up cold, after a few hours for example, It won't boot. I have to turn it off and restart it. It always restarts on the second try. 1st, I have a 300watt power supply, 256 meg of ddr, and a 64meg gforce2 with sdram. Is this a settings problem or a power supply problem or a defectice motherboard? Any help? cpu is xp1600

Scoobs

Distinguished
May 15, 2001
What is you BIOS Date? I flashed my BIOS with B dated 12-15-01. Solved allot of issues. However, I occassionally have some lockups with the machine.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
try this:
go into bios and enable "quickboot". power it down for a couple hours or whatever and see if it works. i was told by an ecs tech that with quickboot disabled, the board goes through "power tests", as he called it. i never got to try it because the board was already RMA'ed at that point, they just took forever to answer emails.

[insert philosophical statement here]

G

I have aminf329 and 011215lan. Do i just boot to dos and type"aminf329/011215lan"?

dhlucke

Polypheme
<A HREF="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4" target="_new">Clickable</A>

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

jrktms5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2002
hi just reading some post here , i have the same problem as urself with lock ups , did u ever figure out what was the problem , and if so what did u do PS 1.2g, 384 ddr, 32 ddr vid, win ME
TIA

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
might just be windows me, but then again, might be a powersupply problem.
check the bios date, and check the voltage readings in the bios. if everything is putting voltages out to specs, then try updating the bios.

oh, and remember to include ".rom" without the quotation marks.
eg: ********.rom
if you forget to include the .rom extension on the file name, then you will get an error, and have to start again. and it might freak you out!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

Its a strange one. I installed ME on a system and although I'd turned down all the RAM settings, it still had the same problem occasionally.

Maybe its a BIOS issue, maybe not.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i really had problems with windows me....
windows 98se, windowsxp and windows 2000 are pretty good.
i am using windows xp pro right now, and it is pretty damn stable on the ECS k7s5a. 256 megs of GENERIC ddr....and a GENERIC psu.
no problems!
stable running for weeks, without having to restart every couple of days like i did with 98se.
glad i made the switch!

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
and spreads...lol....
i had to use the included windows virus scanner to remove it...i think the command for it was <font color=red>c:\>fdisk</font color=red> or something along those lines....
:wink:

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
oh and btw, if someone is reading this, and thinks this is the built in virus scanner, it is not..that is fdisk, which allows you to delete partitions, and creat partitions....which is not a way to delete viruses, unless you cant get rid of it any other way...even by formatting...which i highly doubt.
so dont run fdisk if you are actually trying to get rid of any virus, other than WinME...becuase that virus is hard to get rid of! :wink:

-DAvid

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
LOL!!

Dont worry honestjhon, even this newb got the fdisk joke!

win me IS a virus, lol!

----
A newbie is only a newbie for as long as you allow him to be.
-Anonymous Veteran

TRENDING THREADS