Ameritech Co. is Rigging lines for slow connect

The_Neon_Cowboy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
the phone company recently worked on all the lines down my road (5 miles lots of houses). When you pick up the phone and call is get alot of backgrond noise and static for the fist minute then it magically clears up. My parents live 1/2 mile down the road they arehaveing the same problems. I called ameritech complained about the line noise. they called me back 5 min later and said you lines are just fine no static and refused to even send a repair man to investagate. My Internet connections before the work was 33.6 now i struggle to get 26.4 or 24.4 and i cant paly my games at all now online. my ping went from 260 to 1100 to 1400 becouse of all the lost packets. My parent's also reported thier internet was very! slow!

:cool: <font color=blue>The Hardware Junkie</font color=blue> :cool:

stephen_c

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Seems like the "Re-gen" on your lines is faulty. I'll explain. On a copper wire network the signal going from a to b deteriorates. To solve this a signal amplifier is placed somewhere along the line which re-generates the signal. When the noise clears up its probably this functioning as it should. When the company checked the line (if they did) this Re-Gen may have been working correctly. Ring them again.Thsi is the very reason that firbre optical cables are becoming more and more popular, because the signal doesnt de-generate.
I found all this out doing work experience at British Telecom yesterday (coincidence).

Gradual movement of mouse over to "My Computer". Tension building...Double click...