Which typically has more range, a wireless router or an ap?

Question seems simple enough. Also which brands/models offer the best range?

>Question seems simple enough. Also which brands/models offer the best range?

In almost every case an AP. Since it can be easily moved to the area
where it performs best. Most people aren't going to move their
wireless router, main desktop, cable/DSL hookup, all to another
location just to get the internet on their notebook while on the deck.

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison

-----------------------
All lower case to respond by mail.
If you give a little they give a lot
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco

Elliot English <eenglish_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in

> Question seems simple enough. Also which brands/models offer the best
> range?

This is product dependent, but generally consumer routers and APs have the
same range.

Check netgate.com if you want high powered WiFi equipment.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

> Question seems simple enough. Also which brands/models offer the best
range?

SMC has a 200mw G router SMC2804WBRP-G
I'm curious if anyone has likes/dislikes - pro's / cons with it

"Elliot English" <eenglish_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Question seems simple enough. Also which brands/models offer the best
range?

A wireless router is 3 devices in one: a router, an access point, and an
Ethernet switch. So an access point and a wireless router (which contains
an access point) have the same limitations with all things being equal. The
true answer is that it is dependent on the model and on the conditions in
which the device is installed.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

I'm looking to use a router as an AP so I could move it. I'm looking at
either at linksys wrt54g or an xtera xr-2406g(10 $ cheaper). I've
decided to go with the routers as they are at least $40 less than the
equivalent APs. Which would be better? Other suggested brands/models?

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 03:07:57 GMT, Elliot English <eenglish_ca@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>Question seems simple enough. Also which brands/models offer the best range?

Depends on the strength of your slingshot. If you have good rubber
bands, I'd tend go for the one with the most mass. Of course there are
aerodynamic considerations that could come into play with some devices.

With the proper launching equipment, a small portable TV would probably
out-distance either one of these devices and have a far more dramatic
impact.

>I'm looking to use a router as an AP so I could move it. I'm looking at
>either at linksys wrt54g or an xtera xr-2406g(10 $ cheaper). I've
>decided to go with the routers as they are at least $40 less than the
>equivalent APs. Which would be better? Other suggested brands/models?

Well.....on my AP/router which is hooked up to a network on a
DSL/Cable router, having the router on causes a problem. I can surf
the web outside but can't see my network unless I turn it into an "AP"
on the configuration page. Also my AP only, very old WAP11 has way
better range than this MS AP/router. So I'm not really sold on these
combo units. Only got it since it was very, very cheap.

Hardware reviews:
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4236,00.asp