Thank you for your help. It still doesn't work. The message comes back Both USB and iLINK cables are disconnected or Power Switch on DVC is off.
I have the USB connected & DVC is on. I don't have iLINK cable. My instruction book gives instructions for USB or iLINK. I don't need both.
I checked to see if your camcorder is compatible with Windows 7 - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Hardware&s=PV-DV401
It looks like there are no Windows 7 or Vista drivers for the PV-DV401 available. In that case, you should run it in Windows XP compatibility mode:
1. Right click on the icon for the program.
2. Click on properties.
3. Now click on the compatibility tab.
4. Under compatibility, check “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”
5. In the drop down box select Windows XP.
6. Under privilege level check mark "Run this program as an administrator".
7. Click on “Apply”.
8. Click on “OK”.
For more info on this method, you should visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows
Let me know if this works for you.
Windows Outreach Team