dick

I have disabled Windows Messenger sicce I have NO need for it. However, the
Green Pawn with the red circle and white X keeps popping up next to my time
and volume in the system tray.

Is there a way that I can put an end to this little irritation.
--
Dick

Greetings Dick,

The easiest way to handle this is just to remove it entirely (although be aware that a few
applications that utilize Messenger may have a few issues, in most cases you probably won't
even notice). To do so, close down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger icon
in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then
click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert