MSN Messenger and Linksys BEFSR41, WRT54G

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've tried to get MSN Messenger working for over 18
months now and am about to give up. I like the layout
and general setup of MSN Messenger but it doesn't do any
good if we can't see and talk together.

Do I understand correctly that I cannot get MSN Messenger
(I have 7 beta loaded now) to work through our Linksys
BEFSR41 routers, regardless of port forwarding settings
(one router is version 2 and one is version 3)?

What about my new Linksys WRT54G router (hardwired)?
Would two of these work since they are newer, maybe
better PNP functionality?

Thanks for any help!!!

According to Linksys, Technical Chat, via the Internet, the WRT54G is
suppose to be able to set to UPnP and DMZ if and when needed.

Joel

"Bob" <bdodd1@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
> I've tried to get MSN Messenger working for over 18
> months now and am about to give up. I like the layout
> and general setup of MSN Messenger but it doesn't do any
> good if we can't see and talk together.
>
> Do I understand correctly that I cannot get MSN Messenger
> (I have 7 beta loaded now) to work through our Linksys
> BEFSR41 routers, regardless of port forwarding settings
> (one router is version 2 and one is version 3)?
>
> What about my new Linksys WRT54G router (hardwired)?
> Would two of these work since they are newer, maybe
> better PNP functionality?
>
> Thanks for any help!!!

Greetings Bob,

There are plenty of people using the BEFSR41 (and WRT54G) with Messenger. The key is not
port forwarding, setting into the DMZ or anything like that -- the key is UPnP support
engaged.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Bob" <bdodd1@nospamcharter.net> wrote in message
> I've tried to get MSN Messenger working for over 18
> months now and am about to give up. I like the layout
> and general setup of MSN Messenger but it doesn't do any
> good if we can't see and talk together.
>
> Do I understand correctly that I cannot get MSN Messenger
> (I have 7 beta loaded now) to work through our Linksys
> BEFSR41 routers, regardless of port forwarding settings
> (one router is version 2 and one is version 3)?
>
> What about my new Linksys WRT54G router (hardwired)?
> Would two of these work since they are newer, maybe
> better PNP functionality?
>
> Thanks for any help!!!

Jonathan, I am using the BEFSR41 and MSN 7.0 and cannot get audio/video to
work. UPnP is on. I have tried to forward various ports, but to no avail,
any ideas?

Thanks
Joe