Windows Messenger Auto-Logon Fails

It seems most people want Windows Messenger gone out of their lives forever.
I just want auto logon to work after SP2. I don't want MSN Messenger.

I had 9 user workstations automatically logging into Windows Messenger.
Then I applied XP SP2 on all of them and now Windows Messenger fails auto
logon on 4 of them. It doesn't even appear to try. Manual logons work fine
amd Windows Messenger works after that.

I have tried the "Sign In As..." automatic logon checkbox. It doesn't
stick. I have tried setting the auto logon checkbox Outlook Express even
though we use Outlook. I'll try any checkbox which might set some televant
registry entry somewhere.

I have tried removing Windows Messenger with the well-known:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
and reinstallation did not fix it. In fact, running the Windows Messenger
installer after this little suggestion brings up the option of Repair/Remove
with Remove grayed out. Big help that is!

I have tried "removing" Messenger from the control panel's Add/Remove
Windows Components, but we all know that's just cosmetic.

Why does XP SP2 state that it ships with the "latest" Messenger 4.7 when 5.0
has been out for so long? I found my 5.0 installs were overwritten by 4.7.
I downloaded 5.1 and installed it. Still no auto-logon.

I'm all out of the common solutions. Does anyone have an informed solution?

--
JWP
4 answers Last reply

    Jonathan Kay,

    Do you have any ideas on the auto-logon failue issue? I saw in another
    message you provided an msiexec command line to uninstall WM 5.1. I can try
    that and reinstall 5.1 to see if the auto-logon failure resolves. But I have
    yet to see any mention anywhere of the direct cause for auto-logon failures
    that refuse to go away. Any other alternatives would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Jonathan Platt

    "JWPlatt" wrote:

    > It seems most people want Windows Messenger gone out of their lives forever.
    > I just want auto logon to work after SP2. I don't want MSN Messenger.
    >
    > I had 9 user workstations automatically logging into Windows Messenger.
    > Then I applied XP SP2 on all of them and now Windows Messenger fails auto
    > logon on 4 of them. It doesn't even appear to try. Manual logons work fine
    > amd Windows Messenger works after that.
    >
    > I have tried the "Sign In As..." automatic logon checkbox. It doesn't
    > stick. I have tried setting the auto logon checkbox Outlook Express even
    > though we use Outlook. I'll try any checkbox which might set some televant
    > registry entry somewhere.
    >
    > I have tried removing Windows Messenger with the well-known:
    > RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    > and reinstallation did not fix it. In fact, running the Windows Messenger
    > installer after this little suggestion brings up the option of Repair/Remove
    > with Remove grayed out. Big help that is!
    >
    > I have tried "removing" Messenger from the control panel's Add/Remove
    > Windows Components, but we all know that's just cosmetic.
    >
    > Why does XP SP2 state that it ships with the "latest" Messenger 4.7 when 5.0
    > has been out for so long? I found my 5.0 installs were overwritten by 4.7.
    > I downloaded 5.1 and installed it. Still no auto-logon.
    >
    > I'm all out of the common solutions. Does anyone have an informed solution?
    >
    > --
    > JWP

    I'm having the same issue with the Auto-logon feature not
    working. I can log on by entering the info manually each
    time, but when the Auto-logon button is ticked it will not
    connect.

    I was able to uninstall it and then re-install it, but the
    problem persists. Does anyone know of a fix for this?
    I've seen the same problem posted in several other places
    on the net.

    Thank you,

    T D Mitchell

    New clues:

    Auto-logon is successful under the Administrator account. But not the
    regular domain user account, which is where I need it.

    Uninstalling Windows Messenger 5.1 using the msiexec command was
    successfull, but reinstallation was ineffective for auto-logon.

    Jonathan Kay - how about the uninstall product codes for 4.7 and 5.0? What
    should I look for concerning what might be a permissions problem affecting
    auto-logon?

    Thanks,

    Jonathan Platt

    Jonathan Kay, little help if you please?

    I tried giving the user Administrator permissions to see if that would have
    any effect because, as I said earlier, auto-logon works when I log into the
    local Administrator account. But it did not help.

    I tried looking in the HKCU registries for the user that works and the user
    that doesn't to find something obvious but there are so many bit-level
    settings, it's impossible for me to know what might be wrong.

Messenger Windows XP