Utlimate Gaming Rig for LAN Parties

kyrnel

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Has anyone built a gaming rig using a flexATX or MicroATX board, a small chassis and the minimum parts? Tom's Story "Build Your Own Mini-PC for the Office" got me thinking of how many times I have lugged my 200lb full tower computer to a LAN party. If I can get even an adequate amount of horse power in a small chassis, I would do it. Here is what I'd like to build:
1GHz or faster Intel or AMD
GeForce3
100Mbit Ethernet (probably integrated in board)
Audigy sound card
ATA100 HD 30GB or bigger

I found a sweet chassis here: http://www.baber.com/cases/mpe_mn7.htm
but i havent found a flex or microATX board that is high end enough. Anyone know of one? Anyone already built a system like this?

++++++++
+Kyrnel
++++++++

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the Elitegroup mobo running the SIS735 chipset is a fairly small board, but ive seen other decent boards around which are relatively small... good luck on tryin a GHz+ machine runnin on a 120 watt power supply though

if in doubt blame microsoft...

kyrnel

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
The Spacewalker barebones system in Tom's story has a 150W PS and many MicroATX chassis that I have seen have 200-230W PSs but they are all greige boxes..I want a cool looking gaming case...anyone know of one other than the Spacewalker and the link I posted in my original post?

++++++++
+Kyrnel
++++++++

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the 150 watter did not run an athlon (more power consumption) or a powerful graphics card... that would require a fair bit of power... but an underclocked athlon XP running at 1ghz could be efficient enough to even take a passive heat sink... could be nice to see

if in doubt blame microsoft...

G

Asus makes a microatx motherboard. I don't remember the chipset but it supports tullys and has an AGP port. You should check it out.

You can buy it at Newegg.

AMD: Join the rebellion!