Windows Messenger Audio

I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows Messenger
4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with fault.
However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open any
ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
Frank
8 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger audio

    That should read "Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate
    without fault.
    Frank

    "Frank Saunders" <FSaunders@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
    :I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows Messenger
    : 4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with
    fault.
    : However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open any
    : ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
    : Frank
    :
    :

    Greetings Frank,

    No, the Windows XP Firewall will automatically handle Messenger's voice capabilities, you can
    check to make sure that Windows Messenger has access to the Internet in the Exceptions (but I
    think you'll find it already is).

    Is there anything else in your networking configuration (routers, PCs sharing Internet,
    etc.)?
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Frank Saunders" <FSaunders@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows Messenger
    > 4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with fault.
    > However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open any
    > ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
    > Frank

    Thank you Jonathan for your reply,
    The computer is new and only recently setup, the connection is directly on
    to the telephone line via an ADSL Modem etc. (no router or other devices).
    The OS is Windows XP Home SP2 with Windows Messenger 4.7.3000, Windows XP
    Firewall is activated and Grisoft AVG 7 AntiVirus software installed.
    I can use the normal Instant Messaging and File Transfer. I ran the
    Messenger "Audio Tuning Wizard" without apparent problems. When I invite a
    contact to Voice Conversation (or vice versa) and the distant user accepts ,
    Windows Messenger attempts to connect to the 'distant contact' (the message
    states "connecting to Sid's computer" or words to that effect) but after a
    short period it aborts without having made audio contact.
    Frank

    : Greetings Frank,
    :
    : No, the Windows XP Firewall will automatically handle Messenger's voice
    capabilities, you can
    : check to make sure that Windows Messenger has access to the Internet in
    the Exceptions (but I
    : think you'll find it already is).
    :
    : Is there anything else in your networking configuration (routers, PCs
    sharing Internet,
    : etc.)?
    : ____________________________________________
    : Jonathan Kay
    : Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    : Associate Expert
    : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    : Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    : All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    : You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    :
    : "Frank Saunders" <FSaunders@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
    : news:%23TxlDgd6EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : >I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows
    Messenger
    : > 4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with
    fault.
    : > However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open
    any
    : > ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
    : > Frank
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    Jonathan,
    I have installed MSN Messenger 6.2. Surprise! Surprise! Voice communication
    now functions but Windows Messenger Voice still doesn't. Could this be a
    problem with the ISP?
[...]

    Hi Frank,

    It's highly unlikely -- MSN Messenger 6.x and Windows Messenger use different versions of the
    Real-Time Communication APIs (what voice uses) and MSN Messenger does support more networking
    scenarios than Windows Messenger does.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > Jonathan,
    > I have installed MSN Messenger 6.2. Surprise! Surprise! Voice communication
    > now functions but Windows Messenger Voice still doesn't. Could this be a
    > problem with the ISP?
    > Frank
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    > : Greetings Frank,
    > :
    > : No, the Windows XP Firewall will automatically handle Messenger's voice
    > capabilities, you can
    > : check to make sure that Windows Messenger has access to the Internet in
    > the Exceptions (but I
    > : think you'll find it already is).
    > :
    > : Is there anything else in your networking configuration (routers, PCs
    > sharing Internet,
    > : etc.)?
    > : ____________________________________________
    > : Jonathan Kay
    > : Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > : Associate Expert
    > : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > : Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > : All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    > : You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > :
    > : "Frank Saunders" <FSaunders@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
    > : news:%23TxlDgd6EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > : >I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows
    > Messenger
    > : > 4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with
    > fault.
    > : > However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open
    > any
    > : > ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
    > : > Frank
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Thank you Jonathan,
    I still haven't got to the bottom of why two users (one who works regularly
    with other Windows Messenger users) with Windows XP Home SP2 and Windows
    Messenger 4.7.3000 (Windows Messengers checked on the exceptions page of
    Windows Firewall) can't audibly communicate with each other. If I find a
    solution, I'll update this thread.
    Frank

    : Hi Frank,
    :
[...]
    : > problem with the ISP?
    : > Frank
    : >
    : > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    : > news:eCLUpfp6EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > : Greetings Frank,
    : > :
    : > : ____________________________________________
[...]
    : > : >
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > :
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    I too have been wrestling with this problem for months, with no success.
    Although I have found no solution, I have tried several combinations, in
    hopes of narrowing down the possibilities.

    What I have found is that when I installed a different firewall, and turned
    off the XP built-in firewall, then everything works fine. So I presume the
    problem is somewhere in the handshake (coordination of port assignments)
    between Windows Messenger and the XP built-in firewall.

    I also got a response several months ago, indicating that ports cannot by
    dynamically assigned, when using a Limited User account. Are you having
    this problem while using an account with Administrator privileges ?

[...]

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    JW,
    I too have experienced this same problem when working with my son, who has a
    laptop with XP SP2 and Windows Firewall (with Windows Messenger and MSN
    Messenger checked in the Firewall exceptions page).
    Operating with me from the UK, both Windows & MSN Messengers function
    without problems.
    When he visits Cincinnati Ohio and connects via Cincinnati Bell, Fuse ISP
    his Windows Messenger fails to operate even with all installed firewalls
    disabled (a bit risky but tried), whereas his MSN Messenger functions
    normally. When we discovered MSN operates normally, we never pursued the
    matter further but the problem appears to be fostered by the ISP.
    Dave

Audio Messenger Windows XP