Windows Messenger Audio

I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows Messenger
4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with fault.
However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open any
ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
Frank

That should read "Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate
without fault.
Frank

"Frank Saunders" <FSaunders@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
:I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows Messenger
: 4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with
fault.
: However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open any
: ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
: Frank
:
:

Greetings Frank,

No, the Windows XP Firewall will automatically handle Messenger's voice capabilities, you can
check to make sure that Windows Messenger has access to the Internet in the Exceptions (but I
think you'll find it already is).

Is there anything else in your networking configuration (routers, PCs sharing Internet,
etc.)?
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Frank Saunders" <FSaunders@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
>I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows Messenger
> 4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with fault.
> However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open any
> ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
> Frank

Thank you Jonathan for your reply,
The computer is new and only recently setup, the connection is directly on
to the telephone line via an ADSL Modem etc. (no router or other devices).
The OS is Windows XP Home SP2 with Windows Messenger 4.7.3000, Windows XP
Firewall is activated and Grisoft AVG 7 AntiVirus software installed.
I can use the normal Instant Messaging and File Transfer. I ran the
Messenger "Audio Tuning Wizard" without apparent problems. When I invite a
contact to Voice Conversation (or vice versa) and the distant user accepts ,
Windows Messenger attempts to connect to the 'distant contact' (the message
states "connecting to Sid's computer" or words to that effect) but after a
short period it aborts without having made audio contact.
Frank

: Greetings Frank,
:
: No, the Windows XP Firewall will automatically handle Messenger's voice
capabilities, you can
: check to make sure that Windows Messenger has access to the Internet in
the Exceptions (but I
: think you'll find it already is).
:
: Is there anything else in your networking configuration (routers, PCs
sharing Internet,
: etc.)?
: ____________________________________________
: Jonathan Kay
: Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
: Associate Expert
: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
: Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
: All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
: You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
:
: "Frank Saunders" <FSaunders@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
: news:%23TxlDgd6EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: >I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows
Messenger
: > 4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with
fault.
: > However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open
any
: > ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
: > Frank
: >
: >
:
:

Jonathan,
I have installed MSN Messenger 6.2. Surprise! Surprise! Voice communication
now functions but Windows Messenger Voice still doesn't. Could this be a
problem with the ISP?
[...]

Hi Frank,

It's highly unlikely -- MSN Messenger 6.x and Windows Messenger use different versions of the
Real-Time Communication APIs (what voice uses) and MSN Messenger does support more networking
scenarios than Windows Messenger does.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Jonathan,
> I have installed MSN Messenger 6.2. Surprise! Surprise! Voice communication
> now functions but Windows Messenger Voice still doesn't. Could this be a
> problem with the ISP?
> Frank
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
> : Greetings Frank,
> :
> : No, the Windows XP Firewall will automatically handle Messenger's voice
> capabilities, you can
> : check to make sure that Windows Messenger has access to the Internet in
> the Exceptions (but I
> : think you'll find it already is).
> :
> : Is there anything else in your networking configuration (routers, PCs
> sharing Internet,
> : etc.)?
> : ____________________________________________
> : Jonathan Kay
> : Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> : Associate Expert
> : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> : Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> : All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
> : You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> :
> : "Frank Saunders" <FSaunders@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
> : news:%23TxlDgd6EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> : >I have recently changed over to a computer with XP Home & Windows
> Messenger
> : > 4.7.3000. Instant messaging and file transfer functions operate with
> fault.
> : > However, the Audio function will not operate. Is it necessary to open
> any
> : > ports in the XP Firewall, if so which ports and how do I achieve this?
> : > Frank
> : >
> : >
> :
> :

Thank you Jonathan,
I still haven't got to the bottom of why two users (one who works regularly
with other Windows Messenger users) with Windows XP Home SP2 and Windows
Messenger 4.7.3000 (Windows Messengers checked on the exceptions page of
Windows Firewall) can't audibly communicate with each other. If I find a
solution, I'll update this thread.
Frank

: Hi Frank,
:
[...]
: > problem with the ISP?
: > Frank
: >
: > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
: > news:eCLUpfp6EHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > : Greetings Frank,
: > :
: > : ____________________________________________
[...]
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

jw

I too have been wrestling with this problem for months, with no success.
Although I have found no solution, I have tried several combinations, in
hopes of narrowing down the possibilities.

What I have found is that when I installed a different firewall, and turned
off the XP built-in firewall, then everything works fine. So I presume the
problem is somewhere in the handshake (coordination of port assignments)
between Windows Messenger and the XP built-in firewall.

I also got a response several months ago, indicating that ports cannot by
dynamically assigned, when using a Limited User account. Are you having
this problem while using an account with Administrator privileges ?

[...]

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

JW,
I too have experienced this same problem when working with my son, who has a
laptop with XP SP2 and Windows Firewall (with Windows Messenger and MSN
Messenger checked in the Firewall exceptions page).
Operating with me from the UK, both Windows & MSN Messengers function
without problems.
When he visits Cincinnati Ohio and connects via Cincinnati Bell, Fuse ISP
his Windows Messenger fails to operate even with all installed firewalls
disabled (a bit risky but tried), whereas his MSN Messenger functions
normally. When we discovered MSN operates normally, we never pursued the
matter further but the problem appears to be fostered by the ISP.
Dave