CPU Useage

I have an Inspiron 9300 which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that with
nothing open, the CPU spikes to 30% plus every few seconds. The user of the
CPU seems to be PCMService.exe. Anyone know what this does? Is it necessary?

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about useage

    "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I have an Inspiron 9300 which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that
    >with
    > nothing open, the CPU spikes to 30% plus every few seconds. The user of
    > the
    > CPU seems to be PCMService.exe. Anyone know what this does? Is it
    > necessary?
    >
    > Thanks

    Google is your friend. First hit on PCMService.exe

    PCMService - PCMService.exe - Process Information
    Process File: PCMService or PCMService.exe
    Process Name: Dell media experienc

    PCMService.exe is a part of the Dell media experience software. This is a
    multimedia product, and program is non-essential process to the running of
    the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing
    problems.
    For More Information About PCMService.exe - Get WinTasks 5 Pro Now!

    Author: Dell
    Part Of: Dell media experienc

    System Process: No
    Background Process: No
    Uses Network: No
    Hardware Related: No
    Common Errors: N/A
    Memory Usage: N/A ( Free Up Memory )

    begin 666 count.php_key=load
    M1TE&.#=A`0`!`/<``````/______________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    M____________________________________________________________
    A_____________________RP``````0`!```(`P`#```[
    `
    end

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message

    > "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>I have an Inspiron 9300 which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that
    >>with nothing open, the CPU spikes to 30% plus every few seconds. The user
    >>of the CPU seems to be PCMService.exe. Anyone know what this does? Is it
    >>necessary?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    oops :)

    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/

    > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>>I have an Inspiron 9300 which I am really enjoying. I have noticed that
    >>>with nothing open, the CPU spikes to 30% plus every few seconds. The user
    >>>of the CPU seems to be PCMService.exe. Anyone know what this does? Is it
    >>>necessary?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >
    > oops :)
    >
    > http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/

    HBB,
    Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to buy
    the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
    stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
    suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had already
    done it and could spare me the pain.

    >HBB,
    >Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to buy
    >the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
    >stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
    >suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had already
    >done it and could spare me the pain.

    There is a website or 2 that explains all teh services available and
    wheat they do....along with suggestions regarding whether they're
    needed.

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services and

    They allowed me to make informed decisions with low risk.

    Knowledge is power.

    Regards,

    > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message

    >> oops :)
    >>
    >> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > HBB,
    > Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to
    > buy the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
    > stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
    > suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had
    > already done it and could spare me the pain.

    I stopped it by uninstalling the Dell Media Experience from my 9300. Don't
    need/want it, as I am running XP Media Center.

    Tom

    "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message

    > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message

    >> oops :)
    >>
    >> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > HBB,
    > Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to
    > buy the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
    > stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
    > suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had
    > already done it and could spare me the pain.

    Sorry. I assumed (yeah I know :-) that you did not know what process the
    service represented and would know what it was once you did.

    Here's a better description of the "Dell Media Experience" software than
    anything I found at the dell site(s)

    http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/dell_media_experience.asp

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HBB,
    Thanks for that link. It has the info I was looking for.

    > "MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhist@shoesgmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> oops :)
    >>>
    >>> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/PCMService/
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>

    >> HBB,
    >> Thanks for the reply. I had read that description, but am not willing to
    >> buy the pro version to learn more about it. I was wondering if anyone had
    >> stopped the process and what it affected. Multimedia is a broad term. I
    >> suppose I could try turning it off, but was hoping someone here had
    >> already done it and could spare me the pain.
    >
    > Sorry. I assumed (yeah I know :-) that you did not know what process the
    > service represented and would know what it was once you did.
    >

    > Here's a better description of the "Dell Media Experience" software than
    > anything I found at the dell site(s)
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/dell_media_experience.asp

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

    How does one check the CPU Usage?
    Charlie

    >"MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote:

    >HBB,
    >Thanks for that link. It has the info I was looking for.
    Charliec

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 02:15:23 GMT, Charliec
    <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote:

    >How does one check the CPU Usage?
    >Charlie
    >
    >>"MrB" <brooksro@REMOVEALLCAPSadelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >>HBB,
    >>Thanks for that link. It has the info I was looking for.
    >Charliec

    Right click tray, or Ctrl-alt-del, click on Task Manager, click on
    Performance tab, or on Processes tab.

    If you need more information use the Performance tool, and select
    whatever parameters you wish to monitor (there are hundreds).

Dell CPUs Inspiron Computers