Product line comparison

I know that everyone hear knows the answer, and if I spent 45 minutes
reading Dell's website or waiting 45 minutes on hold (maybe) I could get the
answer but:

2400 - No AGP (or now called PCI-Express) and UDMA (ribbon connectors) hard
drive connector
3000 - Same thing (?) Maybe more PCI slots?
4700 - Has AGP (or more accurately the 4600 had AGP) or PCI Express (I know,
not the same connector - is it?) and SATA connector (no more ribbon
connectors)
9100 - Same as 4700 with more PCI slots?

IBM used to have this in their nomenclature - the 321 would be:

3 slots
2 bays
1 PCI expansion slot

(or similar)

Anyhow, just wondering as I am really, really close to buying a new pc (oh,
about 60 days away)
5 answers Last reply
More about product line comparison

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I know that everyone hear knows the answer, and if I spent 45 minutes
    > reading Dell's website or waiting 45 minutes on hold (maybe) I could get
    > the
    > answer but:
    >
    > 2400 - No AGP (or now called PCI-Express) and UDMA (ribbon connectors)
    > hard
    > drive connector
    > 3000 - Same thing (?) Maybe more PCI slots?
    > 4700 - Has AGP (or more accurately the 4600 had AGP) or PCI Express (I
    > know,
    > not the same connector - is it?) and SATA connector (no more ribbon
    > connectors)
    > 9100 - Same as 4700 with more PCI slots?
    >
    > IBM used to have this in their nomenclature - the 321 would be:
    >
    > 3 slots
    > 2 bays
    > 1 PCI expansion slot
    >
    > (or similar)
    >
    > Anyhow, just wondering as I am really, really close to buying a new pc
    > (oh,
    > about 60 days away)

    2400 & 3000: essentially the same boxes. (1) hard drive bay (IDE), (2)
    optical bays, (3) pci slots. 3000 is dual-channel DDR capable but has only
    2 DIMM sockets.
    No AGP or PCIexpress video slots.

    4700: (2) hard drive bays (SATA) and (2) optical. (1) PCIexpress slot and
    (3) pci slots. Dual-channel DDR2 with (4) sockets. Additional USB ports.

    9100 is (other than the XPS 600) top of the line. Has more of most listed
    features than the 4700.

    Link to compare models:
    http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~cat=12&~subcat=84

    Stew

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > 9100 is (other than the XPS 600) top of the line. Has more of most listed
    > features than the 4700.

    But, peculiarly, less USB ports than the 8400 it replaces?

    "Chuckles The Scary Clown" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> 9100 is (other than the XPS 600) top of the line. Has more of most listed
    >> features than the 4700.
    >>

    > But, peculiarly, less USB ports than the 8400 it replaces?

    Have no idea. I believe the 4700 and 8400 have 6 in back, 2 in front.
    Haven't checked the docs on the 9100..... :)

    Stew

    Stew, Thanks for the clarifications, I posted "Which Dimensions?" before I
    saw this post. Still wonder if a 1-year versus the 90-day warranty is worth
    it for a Dimension 4700 or 5100. Thanks, Pat Conover

    "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    > Stew, Thanks for the clarifications, I posted "Which Dimensions?" before I
    > saw this post. Still wonder if a 1-year versus the 90-day warranty is
    > worth it for a Dimension 4700 or 5100. Thanks, Pat Conover

    Pat,

    As above, yes, go for the 1 year warranty.

    Just last week a relative had to return a brand new 4700 for an exchange as
    it was no POST nearly out of the box. Sadly, once the exchange tower came
    in, the 19" analog LCD was also found to be bad - and it also had to be
    exchanged : \

    Add that to a NIC that went bad in a brand new D610 I placed three weeks
    ago, and I'm not a happy camper.

    I've been really fortunate with my Dells up to this point.

    Stew

Dell PCI PCI Express Computers