Sign in with
Your question

EXEs load into memory but fail to launch

Last response: in Windows XP
February 12, 2004 12:04:45 AM

I've been running into problems launching programs. I can see that they've loaded into memory at least they are listed in the task manager under processes, however CPU time remains at 0. System performance completely comes to a standstill and I am unable to terminate the process... Specifically this occurs when I try and run Internet Explorer or Nero
I've run virus scans to no avail, all updates have been run all the latest patches have been installed after a fresh install of XP Pro

System Specs:
Athlon XP 3200+
Gigabyte 7NNXP w/extra controllers setup as ATA
1 gig OCz Platnium dual channel
Radeon 9800 AiW
Audigy2
XP Pro Sp1
I've got 7 IDE componets spread across the controllers -
Primay Controller - HD/HD
Secondary Controller - CD-RW/CD-ROM
GigaRaid 1 controller - HD/Open
GigaRaid 2 controller - HD/HD

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
February 12, 2004 12:27:16 AM

Personally, I'd go through my task manager with a fine tooth comb and see if there's something suspicious running. Also the

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WIndows\CurrentVersion\Run key

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
February 12, 2004 12:30:04 AM

how do i not sound like a complete noob, but what am i looking for in the run key?

Thanks!
Related resources
February 12, 2004 12:46:42 AM

1st thing, are there closer to 5 or closer to 40 entries? if low, you probably don't have much of a problem. The higher the more crap you probably have.

Also, <A HREF="http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/process..." target="_new">here</A> is a site that will tell you which processes might be suspect, and which are legit (more for the task manager).

Brute force, you can do a Google search on anything that looks fishy in the run key.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
!