Soyo Dragon+, XP1700+, 233FSB??

lckystar

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Got new system up and running fine with Soyo Dragon+, AlthonXP 1700+, etc. Both CPU and MB supposed to support FSB of 233, right? Is this an absolute, or do you have to experiment to see how high you can go? Ran fine at 133; changed directly to 233 and no video. Had to boot with INS key depressed. Reset to 133 and fine. Is there a problem or should I just keep moving up in increments to see where instability occurs?

John

G

Yeah, theoretically the board could support a 233mhz fsb, but that ain't gonna happen...I started getting data corruption at 143fsb...140 was fine, but I'm running 137 now just to be safe (I have an unlocked 1600+ at 11 X 137 = 1507)

Just for a sanity check, if you were to run it at 233mhz, it would be 233 X 11 = 2563Mhz...that's over a 1Ghz overclock from the 1466Mhz your chips is spec'ed at...does that seem realistic to you?

Even the relatively supercool P4 maxes out at 3Ghz, which is ONLY an 800Mhz overclock ;)

lckystar

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Well, I've been reading a little more on overclocking this since I posted; guess it was dumb to think I could just jump to 233. Misunderstood the hype. I knew that normally overclocking is done in increments to test stability; just didn't mentally connect the two together. Next I want to figure out the relationship between increasing FSB and changing voltages (up or down) and how they interact to affect stability. Thanks for response.

John

svol

Champion
If you increase your FSB and the CPU doesn't seem to run stable, raising the VCore voltage may help to increase stability.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .