Need someoneo to Test with

I have just finished setting up a web cam I got for Christmas and need
someone to test it with. My family in another state is not hooked up yet!

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Ryan
6 answers Last reply
More about need someoneo test with

    Ryan:

    What you are going to want to test is someone that has the configuration
    that your family in the other state has. The video traffic is PC to PC. If
    your family is behind a firewall (Linksys Cable/DSL router, Belkin, etc), it
    might be that your traffic does not route properly and you will be able to
    IM (PC to Server to PC) but not connect the web cam. On the other hand,
    some of these firewalls are intelligent enough to route traffic (uPnP).

    Netmeeting (Start...Run... "conf" ) is another product that allows for
    streaming video.

    Bob
    "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have just finished setting up a web cam I got for Christmas and need
    > someone to test it with. My family in another state is not hooked up yet!
    >
    > Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ryan

    Thanks Bob, I guess there is more to this than I realized!

    Ryan

    "Bob Christian" wrote:

    > Ryan:
    >
    > What you are going to want to test is someone that has the configuration
    > that your family in the other state has. The video traffic is PC to PC. If
    > your family is behind a firewall (Linksys Cable/DSL router, Belkin, etc), it
    > might be that your traffic does not route properly and you will be able to
    > IM (PC to Server to PC) but not connect the web cam. On the other hand,
    > some of these firewalls are intelligent enough to route traffic (uPnP).
    >
    > Netmeeting (Start...Run... "conf" ) is another product that allows for
    > streaming video.
    >
    > Bob
    > "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have just finished setting up a web cam I got for Christmas and need
    > > someone to test it with. My family in another state is not hooked up yet!
    > >
    > > Can anyone help me?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Ryan

    Hi Bob,

    Actually in MSN Messenger, the Webcam functionality can actually utilize a relay server,
    bypassing the need for a direct connection (although the direct connection is preferred).

    Finding someone with the exact same router and the exact same configuration is usually near
    to impossible.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Bob Christian" <BobChristian@removethis.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ryan:
    >
    > What you are going to want to test is someone that has the configuration
    > that your family in the other state has. The video traffic is PC to PC. If
    > your family is behind a firewall (Linksys Cable/DSL router, Belkin, etc), it
    > might be that your traffic does not route properly and you will be able to
    > IM (PC to Server to PC) but not connect the web cam. On the other hand,
    > some of these firewalls are intelligent enough to route traffic (uPnP).
    >
    > Netmeeting (Start...Run... "conf" ) is another product that allows for
    > streaming video.
    >
    > Bob
    > "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have just finished setting up a web cam I got for Christmas and need
    >> someone to test it with. My family in another state is not hooked up yet!
    >>
    >> Can anyone help me?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ryan

    send me your email address...use Messenger 6.2

    --
    Howard_Vaux

    Thanks for the info (I forgot to thank you earlier).
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Actually in MSN Messenger, the Webcam functionality can actually utilize a
    relay server,
    > bypassing the need for a direct connection (although the direct connection
    is preferred).

    > Finding someone with the exact same router and the exact same
    configuration is usually near
    > to impossible.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Bob Christian" <BobChristian@removethis.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Ryan:
    > >
    > > What you are going to want to test is someone that has the configuration
    > > that your family in the other state has. The video traffic is PC to PC.
    If
    > > your family is behind a firewall (Linksys Cable/DSL router, Belkin,
    etc), it
    > > might be that your traffic does not route properly and you will be able
    > > IM (PC to Server to PC) but not connect the web cam. On the other hand,
    > > some of these firewalls are intelligent enough to route traffic (uPnP).
    > >
    > > Netmeeting (Start...Run... "conf" ) is another product that allows for
    > > streaming video.
    > >
    > > Bob
    > > "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have just finished setting up a web cam I got for Christmas and need
    > >> someone to test it with. My family in another state is not hooked up
    yet!

    > >> Can anyone help me?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Ryan

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Don't worry about it ;)

    > Thanks for the info (I forgot to thank you earlier).
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Bob,
    >>
    >> Actually in MSN Messenger, the Webcam functionality can actually utilize a
    > relay server,
    >> bypassing the need for a direct connection (although the direct connection
    > is preferred).
    >>
    >> Finding someone with the exact same router and the exact same
    > configuration is usually near
    >> to impossible.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Bob Christian" <BobChristian@removethis.gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ryan:
    >> >
    >> > What you are going to want to test is someone that has the configuration
    >> > that your family in the other state has. The video traffic is PC to PC.
    > If
    >> > your family is behind a firewall (Linksys Cable/DSL router, Belkin,
    > etc), it
    >> > might be that your traffic does not route properly and you will be able
    >> > IM (PC to Server to PC) but not connect the web cam. On the other hand,
    >> > some of these firewalls are intelligent enough to route traffic (uPnP).
    >> >
    >> > Netmeeting (Start...Run... "conf" ) is another product that allows for
    >> > streaming video.
    >> >
    >> > Bob
    >> > "Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > yet!