Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia CEO Launches Tegra 2

Last response: in News comments
January 8, 2010 4:24:02 PM

500mW is pretty remarkable. Curious what kind of things this can pull off.
January 8, 2010 4:32:50 PM

Long sleeves... So he owns at least 2 shirts.
Related resources
January 8, 2010 4:35:04 PM

roofusLong sleeves... So he owns at least 2 shirts.

And they're both black... :) 
January 8, 2010 4:36:12 PM

Ahhhhhhh! I just bought a damn Zune HD! I can only imagine that they will be making another one. Ugh. I just read also that the Tegra has the ability to process image information up to 12MP. So, will there be a Zune HD 2? Probably. I can never win.
January 8, 2010 4:39:17 PM

'the tablet is aimed at low-cost notebooks (that's netbooks to us) and tablets.'

Nice...
January 8, 2010 4:43:28 PM

Does that mean 1080p without sputtering?
January 8, 2010 4:52:42 PM

But can it run...Soldat?
January 8, 2010 4:59:59 PM

Good stuff tho, coupled with an OLED screen we'll see some great battery life. Just imagine the giant netbook sized 'phones' that will spawn from this tech.
January 8, 2010 5:11:41 PM

festerovic500mW is pretty remarkable. Curious what kind of things this can pull off.

Me too.
rbarone69Good stuff tho, coupled with an OLED screen we'll see some great battery life. Just imagine the giant netbook sized 'phones' that will spawn from this tech.

Also hoping for an extremely efficient OLED.
mlopinto2k1Ahhhhhhh! I just bought a damn Zune HD! I can only imagine that they will be making another one. Ugh. I just read also that the Tegra has the ability to process image information up to 12MP. So, will there be a Zune HD 2? Probably. I can never win.

I'd rather a PSP2 (or PSP N2000), because Sony keeps releasing new PSP's, but hasn't been giving them more horsepower...
January 8, 2010 5:17:05 PM

mlopinto2k1Ahhhhhhh! I just bought a damn Zune HD! I can only imagine that they will be making another one. Ugh. I just read also that the Tegra has the ability to process image information up to 12MP. So, will there be a Zune HD 2? Probably. I can never win.

You never can in technology, it changes too quickly!
January 8, 2010 5:19:25 PM

there are many solar panels smaller than a "netbooks" cover that can produce 1-1.5 Watts. With the processor consuming just 500mW, I am wondering if a solar or even a hybrid systems could result in netbooks with solar panels on the opposite side of the screen that could work for extended times (few days?) without the need to be recharged.
January 8, 2010 5:26:03 PM

It includes two Cortex A9 CPU's, not one. Plus an ARM7. See the Anandtech article.
January 8, 2010 6:03:20 PM

oam_75there are many solar panels smaller than a "netbooks" cover that can produce 1-1.5 Watts. With the processor consuming just 500mW, I am wondering if a solar or even a hybrid systems could result in netbooks with solar panels on the opposite side of the screen that could work for extended times (few days?) without the need to be recharged.

Dc-dc converters aren't 100% efficient even at low power. In addition to that, assuming you'll be using the machine's battery as buffer, charging it using a small solar panel going in and out of threshold while you're drawing from it is also far from a 100% efficient transfer.

I think you're onto something really really interesting and good, though but you're really going to have to lower your expectations as technology is today. Realistically, the additional cost won't be worth the marginal increase in runtime, BUT embedding a solar charger on the cover of a small netbook would be a niche device for people away from an outlet for extended periods.
I'd buy one.
January 8, 2010 6:18:10 PM

But can it play...

Crysis?
January 8, 2010 9:07:36 PM

I'm still waiting for my Tegra phone and the crackheads have Tegra2 out already. I should just give up and get a ZuneHD.
January 8, 2010 10:08:56 PM

djcoolmasterxBut can it play...Crysis?

YES!!!

800x600 at LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS.

Pretty much ANYTHING compatible with SM2.0 can run Crysis. It's not that much of a demanding game.... it's like Far Cry 1 on medium/high settings.
January 8, 2010 10:53:38 PM

idisarmuYES!!!800x600 at LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS.Pretty much ANYTHING compatible with SM2.0 can run Crysis. It's not that much of a demanding game.... it's like Far Cry 1 on medium/high settings.

Yippppppeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
January 9, 2010 1:17:50 AM

I know what you mean... JUST got a Zune HD for chrismas. So pissed :p 
January 9, 2010 3:48:56 AM

can it play syphon filter?
January 9, 2010 9:28:59 AM

I USED TO LOVE THAT GAME
Anonymous
January 9, 2010 12:38:43 PM

Tegra is so much better than Atom. The only thing Atom has is x86(and therefore Windows) compatibility. Since Intel is pushing Moblin Linux, they're going to wind up pushing Linux to other architectures like Tegra, then everybody is going to realize that Atom sucks.
January 10, 2010 3:27:23 PM

All the new things have small screens. All I can assume is that the new devices are for people on the go.
!