DCOM Error

Hi,

When checking the Event Viewer on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 I keep getting
the following:

The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM
within the required timeout.

I know the CLIS is related to Messenger but how do I stop the error message ?

Broadband007bond
2 answers Last reply
More about dcom error

    Greetings,

    You're getting this message because an application is trying to load Windows Messenger, which
    you've either disabled or removed. If this really bothers you, the simpliest solution would
    be to reinstall Windows Messenger:
    http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b475d2d1-6266-4d82-bf78-14597545a6b4

    Otherwise, you'll need to find the application that's trying to use Messenger and turn off
    it's Messenger functionality (if possible). Some good examples are:
    Outlook 2003: click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other tab,
    uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.

    Outlook 2002/XP: open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab, and
    uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.

    Outlook Express: close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg

    Norton Antivirus: open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the
    System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options,
    then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger (or Windows Messenger depending on
    version) and click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Broadband007bond" <Broadband007bond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > When checking the Event Viewer on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 I keep getting
    > the following:
    >
    > The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM
    > within the required timeout.

    > I know the CLIS is related to Messenger but how do I stop the error message ?
    >
    > Broadband007bond

    Thanks Jonathan.

    Good point I have removed Windows Messenger 4.7 a long time ago - when I
    upgraded to 6.2. I am a bit loathed to reinstalled it although have checked
    and it is cleanly removed.

    Following your advice I have checked the following:

    Outlook 2002/XP: open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the
    Other tab, and
    uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.

    Outlook Express: close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg

    I have left Norton Antivirus for the time being as I am still running MSN
    Messenger 6.2 and this will protect file transfers etc.

    Is there any other way of detecting other programs ? I suppsoe I should
    leave PC for a bit and see what happens.

    Thanks for you suggestions

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > You're getting this message because an application is trying to load Windows Messenger, which
    > you've either disabled or removed. If this really bothers you, the simpliest solution would
    > be to reinstall Windows Messenger:
    > http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b475d2d1-6266-4d82-bf78-14597545a6b4
    >
    > Otherwise, you'll need to find the application that's trying to use Messenger and turn off
    > it's Messenger functionality (if possible). Some good examples are:
    > Outlook 2003: click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other tab,
    > uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.
    >
    > Outlook 2002/XP: open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab, and
    > uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.
    >
    > Outlook Express: close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    >
    > Norton Antivirus: open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the
    > System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options,
    > then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger (or Windows Messenger depending on
    > version) and click OK.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Broadband007bond" <Broadband007bond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > When checking the Event Viewer on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 I keep getting
    > > the following:
    > >
    > > The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM
    > > within the required timeout.

    > > --
    > >
    > > I know the CLIS is related to Messenger but how do I stop the error message ?
    > >
    > > Broadband007bond

Event Viewer Messenger Microsoft Windows XP