DCOM Error

December 29, 2004 9:59:03 PM

Hi,

When checking the Event Viewer on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 I keep getting
the following:

The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM
within the required timeout.

I know the CLIS is related to Messenger but how do I stop the error message ?

Broadband007bond

More about : dcom error

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:51:56 PM

Greetings,

You're getting this message because an application is trying to load Windows Messenger, which
you've either disabled or removed. If this really bothers you, the simpliest solution would
be to reinstall Windows Messenger:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b4...

Otherwise, you'll need to find the application that's trying to use Messenger and turn off
it's Messenger functionality (if possible). Some good examples are:
Outlook 2003: click the Tools menu in Outlook, then choose Options, choose the Other tab,
uncheck "Enable the Person Names Smart Tag" and click OK.

Outlook 2002/XP: open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the Other tab, and
uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.

Outlook Express: close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...

Norton Antivirus: open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the
System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options,
then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger (or Windows Messenger depending on
version) and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Broadband007bond" <Broadband007bond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> When checking the Event Viewer on Windows XP Home Edition SP2 I keep getting
> the following:
>
> The server {F3A614DC-ABE0-11D2-A441-00C04F795683} did not register with DCOM
> within the required timeout.

> I know the CLIS is related to Messenger but how do I stop the error message ?
>
> Broadband007bond
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:51:57 PM

Thanks Jonathan.

Good point I have removed Windows Messenger 4.7 a long time ago - when I
upgraded to 6.2. I am a bit loathed to reinstalled it although have checked
and it is cleanly removed.

Following your advice I have checked the following:

Outlook 2002/XP: open Outlook, click the Tools menu, then Options, then the
Other tab, and
uncheck 'Enable Instant Messaging in Microsoft Outlook'.

Outlook Express: close Outlook Express, then download and run this .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenge...

I have left Norton Antivirus for the time being as I am still running MSN
Messenger 6.2 and this will protect file transfers etc.

Is there any other way of detecting other programs ? I suppsoe I should
leave PC for a bit and see what happens.

Thanks for you suggestions

!