How can Via repeatedly do this to us?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Via has done it again folks. But this time its a southbridge instead of north bridge issue. The VIA VT8233 southbridge has issues running ATA-133 devices and giving poor performance. So sure enough now they release a VT8233A to cover up their mistake. As a warning do not purchase any boards with ATA-133 support if they are running the VT8233 southbridge, only the newer "A" version. For instance I purchased an Abit KR7A-RAID and low and behold very soon the KR7A-133RAID will be available. Whats the difference? only the southbridge.
It seems this problem could have been solved if only via would have tested their own hardware with an ATA-133 hard drive!
You better bet I'm miffed having spent extra money on a nice motherboard, and even more on a hard drive that suports ATA-133 just to get shoddy performance. Its really dissapointing to see this happen, but supposedly even <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/17010203.htm" target="_new">Intel has similar problems</A> with their own chipsets not being able to burst up to ATA-100 standards let alone ATA-133. I'm curious if the offering from ALI and the Iwill XP333-R are effected by this issue too.
Its certainly very tempting to call up old newegg and tell them my board is defective and I'll need to RMA it for a KR7A-133RAID. Would I be lieing? my board with VT8233 southbridge does not perform as advertised.

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Oni on 01/20/02 11:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>