can a wireless access point use an internal IP address?

Hey,

Total newbie here. I'm trying to set up a wireless access point
somewhere within or outside of our network. We've tried plugging it
in to a regular ethernet port which is somehow connected to the
firewall, from which it receives an internal IP address via DHCP. Is
it not working because it isn't assigned an external address?

In that case, can it be connected from inside the firewall at all?

Dan Hicks wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Total newbie here. I'm trying to set up a wireless access point
>somewhere within or outside of our network. We've tried plugging it
>in to a regular ethernet port which is somehow connected to the
>firewall, from which it receives an internal IP address via DHCP. Is
>it not working because it isn't assigned an external address?
>
>In that case, can it be connected from inside the firewall at all?

An AP plugged into your router gets an internal IP address (from the
DHCP server) just like any of the computers on the system. It should
work fine that way. Of course, you can probably set the IP address
statically.

Jerry Park <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message news:<_wGGc.13846$9t6.4418@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
> Dan Hicks wrote:
>
> >Hey,
> >
> >Total newbie here. I'm trying to set up a wireless access point
> >somewhere within or outside of our network. We've tried plugging it
> >in to a regular ethernet port which is somehow connected to the
> >firewall, from which it receives an internal IP address via DHCP. Is
> >it not working because it isn't assigned an external address?
> >
> >In that case, can it be connected from inside the firewall at all?
> >

> An AP plugged into your router gets an internal IP address (from the
> DHCP server) just like any of the computers on the system. It should
> work fine that way. Of course, you can probably set the IP address
> statically.

Thanks, we determined it's a faulty router. I was wondering if you
knew of any wireless APs that can accept a T1 line feed.

On 7 Jul 2004 13:36:35 -0700, Dan Hicks spoketh

>Thanks, we determined it's a faulty router. I was wondering if you
>knew of any wireless APs that can accept a T1 line feed.

No, your AP can not be connected directly to the wire from your ISP.
Although the cable may look like regular ethernet, it is not, and you'll
need a device with a special interface to connect to this wire.

What you can do, is connect it, via a hub or switch, to the router
usually provided by the T1 provider, and give the AP one of the public
IP addresses assigned to you (assuming you have more than one).

I can't see any reason why you would want to do this, as any client
connected to it would need use static, public IP addresses, and they'll
be on the outside of your firewall and thus unprotected...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<7epoe0h8u1q3alabo3l0oimnj1ma03276s@4ax.com>...
> On 7 Jul 2004 13:36:35 -0700, Dan Hicks spoketh
>

> >Thanks, we determined it's a faulty router. I was wondering if you
> >knew of any wireless APs that can accept a T1 line feed.
>
> No, your AP can not be connected directly to the wire from your ISP.
> Although the cable may look like regular ethernet, it is not, and you'll
> need a device with a special interface to connect to this wire.
>
> What you can do, is connect it, via a hub or switch, to the router
> usually provided by the T1 provider, and give the AP one of the public
> IP addresses assigned to you (assuming you have more than one).
>
> I can't see any reason why you would want to do this, as any client
> connected to it would need use static, public IP addresses, and they'll
> be on the outside of your firewall and thus unprotected...
>

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Thanks, our boss wants us to be able to do testing on our website from
outside our own firewall. So if we were to connect a switch which is
connected to a router to both a firewall and an AP, couldn't the AP
use it's powers to assign DHCP addresses to wireless terminals
connecting to it? We're planning on using one of those linksys
cable/DSL wireless AP routers. Or do we still need to assign a static
public address to every terminal connecting to that router?

On 8 Jul 2004 13:27:49 -0700, Dan Hicks spoketh

>Thanks, our boss wants us to be able to do testing on our website from
>outside our own firewall. So if we were to connect a switch which is
>connected to a router to both a firewall and an AP, couldn't the AP
>use it's powers to assign DHCP addresses to wireless terminals
>connecting to it? We're planning on using one of those linksys
>cable/DSL wireless AP routers. Or do we still need to assign a static
>public address to every terminal connecting to that router?

A Wireless Access Point (WAP) doesn't usually have a DHCP server. It's
simply a bridge between wireless clients and a wired network.

If you have a "wireless router", then it may have a DHCP server.

If you need to test your website from outside the firewall, I suggest
connecting a cheap hub or switch to your internet router, and then
connect a laptop (wired) directly to it. Adding wireless capabilities
for something like this is a waste of time an effort.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net