Windows 7 stuck on Starting Windows screen with 6 DIMMs, but not with 3. Help?

Hello fine folk that browse Tom's,

I'm having a very strange problem as I try to put my first X58 build together. Upon installing Windows 7 Professional, I found that it would boot with 1, 2, or 3 DIMMs installed, but with 4, 5, or 6 DIMMs installed, the boot up would hang at the "Starting Windows" screen. I swapped out all of the DIMMs and I am able to confirm that all 6 DIMMs are functional.

Here's what I know.

-BIOS reads all 6 DIMMS/All 6 DIMMS are working
-With 4 or more DIMMs installed, the system will freeze on the Starting Windows screen with the pulsing Windows logo
-With 1,2, or 3 DIMMs installed, the system boots up with absolutely zero problems.

My question is, how can I get all six DIMMs to work with my system? By all means, I am new to this, so I'm certainly hoping that I missed something very obvious.

MSI Big-Bang Xpower
Intel i7-930
Corsair XMS3-1600 12GB 6X2
WD Caviar Black 2TB
EVGA GTX 480
Antec TPQ-1200 W PSU
Antec 1200 Case
Lite-On DVD and BD

Thanks for any help!
6 answers Last reply
More about windows stuck starting windows screen dimms help
  1. did u set the timings frequency and voltage of the ram in the bios try that and tellus what happened.
  2. A small bump in the ram voltage should do the trick.
  3. With six DIMM's you need to increase the voltage by 0.1 volts.
  4. Okay,

First, thank you for your quick answers, I'm sure you once knew the feeling of anxiety of not knowing what to do with a certain situation.

However, after going into BIOS and manually setting the voltage to 1.6v (from 1.5v that the MOBO had set as default), my problem remains.

-The timings that came with the RAM are 9-9-9-24 1.60V 1600MHz.
    -I manually set the BIOS to match these specs and once again, there is absolutely no problems posting, BIOS picks up all 12 GB.
    -I tried the same set up with the XMP profile enabled and disabled.

I had to double-check and I do indeed have 64 bit Windows. Even now, I'm typing this to you from the rig with 6GB of RAM installed. Perhaps I'm "doomed" to only run 3 physical DIMMs.

(On a side note, when I tried to use OC Genie, it actually underclocked my CPU to around 2.4GHz? I'm wondering if there is a side effect issue from the RAM?)
  5. i7's usually downclock and undervolt when they are running on idle.
  6. mrhoshos96 said:
    i7's usually downclock and undervolt when they are running on idle.

Ah. I didn't know that. Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7