Need Mobo advice

texas_techie

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
Want to do some video editing. Going to get athlonXP 1700, ddr 2700, Scsi/Raid controller (adaptec) set up to RAID 0. Two 10K scsi HD 40+ gig. Already have Geforce Ultra, Nic, Cd-rom etc etc..
I know with raid 0 im taking a chance. But dont have the money to go 0+1, since 10K HD's are expensive.
I dont have to go Scsi, but the ultra 160 spec looked really nice. Any ultra ata fans want to talk me out of scsi, I will listen.
I need to know which mobo is best for this rig and if I have left any other necessary hardware out. Im not happy with the Via southbridge, so I need a decent chipset other than via. Not going to overclock. I would wait for the k8, but early revisions of any new hardware tend to be buggy.
Really appreciate any advice, thanks.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by texas_techie on 01/21/02 03:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ECS has the new K7S6A with the sis 745 chipset for about $70. It doesn't have raid or much overclocking ability. The Iwill xp333-r uses the ali magic one chipset, with raid, 6 channel sound and ata 133 support. It starts at about $115. Since you're doing video editing, you may also want to consider a board using the sis 645 chipset or the Intel 850 chipset with a 1.6 or 1.8 northwood cpu (if you can find one). The boards are reasonably priced. Gamepc has a review of the asus P4s333 and 3 other intel boards using the old willamette cpu.

TRENDING THREADS