Windows Messenger 4.7 and Outlook Express

I am running Windows XP SP2, Windows Messenger 4.7 and Outlook Express 6.0.
When I sign into Windows Messenger and have my Outlook Express open OE (in
the contact list) doesn't show any of my Messenger contacts who are on or
offline. Why?
5 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger outlook express

    I have now uninstalled Windows Messenger 4.7 and am using MSN Messenger 6.2
    and this program does the same thing. A friend of mine is running the same
    as I am and can see that her contacts from MSN are online or offline in her
    contacts list that are in her Outlook Express. Anyone have any ideas why
    mine don't?

    Your help would be appreciated.

    Julie

    "Julie" wrote:

    > I am running Windows XP SP2, Windows Messenger 4.7 and Outlook Express 6.0.
    > When I sign into Windows Messenger and have my Outlook Express open OE (in
    > the contact list) doesn't show any of my Messenger contacts who are on or
    > offline. Why?

    Greetings Julie,

    Actually this feature is only supported in Windows Messenger -- MSN Messenger does not
    integrate into Outlook Express.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have now uninstalled Windows Messenger 4.7 and am using MSN Messenger 6.2
    > and this program does the same thing. A friend of mine is running the same
    > as I am and can see that her contacts from MSN are online or offline in her
    > contacts list that are in her Outlook Express. Anyone have any ideas why
    > mine don't?
    >
    > Your help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Julie
    >
    > "Julie" wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Windows XP SP2, Windows Messenger 4.7 and Outlook Express 6.0.
    >> When I sign into Windows Messenger and have my Outlook Express open OE (in
    >> the contact list) doesn't show any of my Messenger contacts who are on or
    >> offline. Why?

    Jonathan,

    Okay, I have now uninstalled MSN Messenger 6.0 and reinstalled Windows
    Messenger 4.7. I restarted the computer.
    Now, if I sign into Windows Messenger everything is fine, it shows my
    contacts who are online. When I open Outlook Express and I have my contacts
    showing. If one of my contacts from Windows Messenger signs in when I'm
    still looking at email through Outlook Express that particular contact
    persons email address or Display Name usually changes to the little green
    icon person showing they are now online. When the contact isn't online it
    shows a little brown icon person.

    Mine doesn't do that anymore...in Outlook Express it always shows the
    contact persons display name and it never changes. The display name used to
    change when the person signed into Messenger. How do I get it to show?

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Julie,
    >
    > Actually this feature is only supported in Windows Messenger -- MSN Messenger does not
    > integrate into Outlook Express.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have now uninstalled Windows Messenger 4.7 and am using MSN Messenger 6.2
    > > and this program does the same thing. A friend of mine is running the same
    > > as I am and can see that her contacts from MSN are online or offline in her
    > > contacts list that are in her Outlook Express. Anyone have any ideas why
    > > mine don't?
    > >
    > > Your help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Julie
    > >
    > > "Julie" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am running Windows XP SP2, Windows Messenger 4.7 and Outlook Express 6.0.
    > >> When I sign into Windows Messenger and have my Outlook Express open OE (in
    > >> the contact list) doesn't show any of my Messenger contacts who are on or
    > >> offline. Why?

    Hi Julie,

    It's possible this functionality was disabled, try closing Outlook Express, then downloading
    and running the following .reg file:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/enablemessenger_oe.reg

    Then try opening Outlook Express and see what happens.

    > Jonathan,
    >
    > Okay, I have now uninstalled MSN Messenger 6.0 and reinstalled Windows
    > Messenger 4.7. I restarted the computer.
    > Now, if I sign into Windows Messenger everything is fine, it shows my
    > contacts who are online. When I open Outlook Express and I have my contacts
    > showing. If one of my contacts from Windows Messenger signs in when I'm
    > still looking at email through Outlook Express that particular contact
    > persons email address or Display Name usually changes to the little green
    > icon person showing they are now online. When the contact isn't online it
    > shows a little brown icon person.
    >
    > Mine doesn't do that anymore...in Outlook Express it always shows the
    > contact persons display name and it never changes. The display name used to
    > change when the person signed into Messenger. How do I get it to show?
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Julie,
    >>
    >> Actually this feature is only supported in Windows Messenger -- MSN Messenger does not
    >> integrate into Outlook Express.
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have now uninstalled Windows Messenger 4.7 and am using MSN Messenger 6.2
    >> > and this program does the same thing. A friend of mine is running the same
    >> > as I am and can see that her contacts from MSN are online or offline in her
    >> > contacts list that are in her Outlook Express. Anyone have any ideas why
    >> > mine don't?
    >> >
    >> > Your help would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Julie

    Might I suggest downloading and installing Windows Messenger 5.1. It may
    not fix the OE problem, and you have probably already fixed it. Then again,
    it may re-run the bits that would fix OE. Either way, it is an updated
    version.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8d9eb73-5f8c-4b9a-940f-9157a3b3d774&displaylang=en

    Bob

Outlook Express Messenger Windows XP