Version of Messenger?

ewa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi,

My colleague and I use MSN Messenger 6.2 (6.2.0137) and Win XP.
When I tried to start sharing applications the Messenger told her to
update Windows Messenger and gave the link.
When she clicked the link it let her download Windows Messenger
ver. 4.7 of 2003-04-16.
She didn't download it.

To check the situation I downloaded the newest SetupDI.exe but it's
properties say it is ver. 4.71.1015.0. However when I started to install it,
it shown:
Welcome to MSN Messenger 6.2 Setup
and then informed me that the version in my computer is higher than the
one I was trying to install.

Could anyone explain it all to me and advice what we should do to be
able to share applications, please?

Regards
Ewa

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings,

In order to use Application Sharing, Whiteboard or Remote Assistance within *MSN Messenger*
you must have *Windows Messenger* installed. These are separate applications and these
functions will not work within MSN Messenger without Windows Messenger being there.

MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger do run side-by-side, so just install it and you're set to
go.

Note: when you check the version of the setup file, you're checking the version of the
installer -- not the application.

Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

"Ewa" <ewa@ewa.com.pl> wrote in message news:cr8hge$g7r$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl...
> Hi,
>
> My colleague and I use MSN Messenger 6.2 (6.2.0137) and Win XP.
> When I tried to start sharing applications the Messenger told her to
> update Windows Messenger and gave the link.
> When she clicked the link it let her download Windows Messenger
> ver. 4.7 of 2003-04-16.
> She didn't download it.
>
> To check the situation I downloaded the newest SetupDI.exe but it's
> properties say it is ver. 4.71.1015.0. However when I started to install it,
> it shown:
> Welcome to MSN Messenger 6.2 Setup
> and then informed me that the version in my computer is higher than the
> one I was trying to install.
>
> Could anyone explain it all to me and advice what we should do to be
> able to share applications, please?
>
> Regards
> Ewa

ewa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Greetings,

Thank you very much. Your advice helped us.
Now it says that the Net Meeting and RTC on my computer is blocked
for security reasons. I'll have to find out more about MSN Messenger,
Windows Messenger and Net Meeting to distinguish their functions.

Is it possible to establish audio conversation or video conference
among 3 or more persons? If yes, how to do it? Do we need to install
anything else?

Regards
Ewa

U¿ytkownik "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:OCzLb8N8EHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Greetings,
>
> In order to use Application Sharing, Whiteboard or Remote Assistance within *MSN Messenger* you must have *Windows Messenger*
> installed. These are separate applications and these functions will not work within MSN Messenger without Windows Messenger being
> there.
>
> MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger do run side-by-side, so just install it and you're set to go.
>
> Note: when you check the version of the setup file, you're checking the version of the installer -- not the application.

> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> Associate Expert
>
> "Ewa" <ewa@ewa.com.pl> wrote in message news:cr8hge$g7r$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> My colleague and I use MSN Messenger 6.2 (6.2.0137) and Win XP.
>> When I tried to start sharing applications the Messenger told her to
>> update Windows Messenger and gave the link.
>> When she clicked the link it let her download Windows Messenger
>> ver. 4.7 of 2003-04-16.
>> She didn't download it.
>>
>> To check the situation I downloaded the newest SetupDI.exe but it's
>> properties say it is ver. 4.71.1015.0. However when I started to install it,
>> it shown:
>> Welcome to MSN Messenger 6.2 Setup
>> and then informed me that the version in my computer is higher than the
>> one I was trying to install.
>>
>> Could anyone explain it all to me and advice what we should do to be
>> able to share applications, please?
>>
>> Regards
>> Ewa

ewa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Could you answer the following question concerning Messenger:

Is it possible to establish audio conversation or video conference
among 3 or more persons? If yes, how to do it? Do we need to install
anything else?

Regards
Ewa

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi Ewa,

You can share the "Webcam" in MSN Messenger 6.x, but that's about the extent of multi-user
voice/video capabilities Messenger has (no 3-way audio, etc.). You might want to check out
Skype (http://www.skype.com) for that functionality.

"Ewa" <ewa@ewa.com.pl> wrote in message news:cr9qif$5nf$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl...
> Could you answer the following question concerning Messenger:
>
> Is it possible to establish audio conversation or video conference
> among 3 or more persons? If yes, how to do it? Do we need to install
> anything else?
>
> Regards
> Ewa

jw

Hi Ewa

Here's something you can try that's built into Windows. Page 736 of Windows
XP Inside-Out says, "If you want to hold a voice conference or video
conference with more than two people simultaneously, use Phone Dialer. If
you want to use Whiteboard or Application Sharing with more than two people
simultaneously, use NetMeeting."

To run Phone Dialer, open a Run box and type
dialer
To run NetMeeting, open a Run box and type
conf

Both are built into Windows. Hope this helps. I have never tried it,
because i've never had more than 2 people to try it with, but that's what
the text book says.

Jonathan

"Ewa" <ewa@ewa.com.pl> wrote in message
Could you answer the following question concerning Messenger:

Is it possible to establish audio conversation or video conference
among 3 or more persons? If yes, how to do it? Do we need to install
anything else?

Regards
Ewa

Hi,

I would avoid the Phone Dialer, it's a very buggy application.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"JW" <JustPostYourReply@ToThisNewsgroup.pls> wrote in message
> Hi Ewa
>
> Here's something you can try that's built into Windows. Page 736 of Windows
> XP Inside-Out says, "If you want to hold a voice conference or video
> conference with more than two people simultaneously, use Phone Dialer. If
> you want to use Whiteboard or Application Sharing with more than two people
> simultaneously, use NetMeeting."
>
> To run Phone Dialer, open a Run box and type
> dialer
> To run NetMeeting, open a Run box and type
> conf
>
> Both are built into Windows. Hope this helps. I have never tried it,
> because i've never had more than 2 people to try it with, but that's what
> the text book says.
>
> Jonathan
>
> "Ewa" <ewa@ewa.com.pl> wrote in message
> Could you answer the following question concerning Messenger:
>
> Is it possible to establish audio conversation or video conference
> among 3 or more persons? If yes, how to do it? Do we need to install
> anything else?
>
> Regards
> Ewa

ewa

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004

Hi and thank you both.
I have just one question: what can happen if I try the Phone Dialer?

Regards
Ewa

> I would avoid the Phone Dialer, it's a very buggy application.

>> Here's something you can try that's built into Windows. Page 736 of Windows
>> XP Inside-Out says, "If you want to hold a voice conference or video
>> conference with more than two people simultaneously, use Phone Dialer. If
>> you want to use Whiteboard or Application Sharing with more than two people
>> simultaneously, use NetMeeting."

Hi Ewa,

Oh nothing bad will happen; it's just highly prone to closing on its own and various other
issues (reliability is questionable).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Ewa" <ewa@ewa.com.pl> wrote in message news:creqa3$q0p$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl...
> Hi and thank you both.
> I have just one question: what can happen if I try the Phone Dialer?
>
> Regards
> Ewa
>
>> I would avoid the Phone Dialer, it's a very buggy application.
>
>>> Here's something you can try that's built into Windows. Page 736 of Windows
>>> XP Inside-Out says, "If you want to hold a voice conference or video
>>> conference with more than two people simultaneously, use Phone Dialer. If
>>> you want to use Whiteboard or Application Sharing with more than two people
>>> simultaneously, use NetMeeting."

TRENDING THREADS