Help! Computer says that my CPU speed is set wrong

G

I'm somewhat of a novice at all this- but here it goes.

I built my own computer a couple years ago, and about 8 months ago I upgraded it completely. I put in a new motherboard, a new PIII processor (I think it's at 800 mhz, but it might be higher), pretty much new everything. To make a long story short, it worked fine up until a couple months ago. Now when I turn it on it goes to my "starting up" screen and hangs- then it restarts, starts to boot up again normally, and then hangs on the "detecting primary master" command. When I turn it off and on, it gives me the screen you get to by hitting "delete" while your computer turns on (the name escapes me at the moment) and it says something about the CPU speed being set wrong. The options are- 200mhz, 400mhz, 600mhz, 800mhz, and "manual". It has been set on 800mhz, but since this started happening I tried out a few different settings on "manual". The weird thing is, once I go through that whole process and change the processor speed to anything other than what it had been set at the last time, it boots up normally (although I now have to go through this whole process twice most of the time). Anyone able to help?