Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SSID for multiple access points

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 1:47:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

howdy all,

Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
responses and I will suffer them with good graces. :) 

I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this network
to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
cannot roam between them

As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove back
down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to be
unique?

Thanks in advance for all information!

------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Peterson, A+, Net+, MCSE
Indy Tech

To e-mail me, remove everything between
"att" and ".net" in my e-mail address.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.714 / Virus Database: 470 - Release Date: 7/2/2004
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 1:47:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

The AP SSIDs, I believe, should all be the same but the individual APs should be set to different
channels...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

"Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.UNSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:t5FGc.1730$aj.384@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> howdy all,
>
> Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
> question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
> turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
> responses and I will suffer them with good graces. :) 
>
> I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this network
> to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
> initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
> cannot roam between them
>
> As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove back
> down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to be
> unique?
>
> Thanks in advance for all information!
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> Jim Peterson, A+, Net+, MCSE
> Indy Tech
>
> To e-mail me, remove everything between
> "att" and ".net" in my e-mail address.
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.714 / Virus Database: 470 - Release Date: 7/2/2004
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.716 / Virus Database: 472 - Release Date: 7/5/2004
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 4:47:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<ujMAtP6YEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> The AP SSIDs, I believe, should all be the same but the individual APs should be set to different
> channels...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
>
> "Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.UNSPAM.net> wrote in message
> news:t5FGc.1730$aj.384@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> > howdy all,
> >
> > Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
> > question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
> > turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
> > responses and I will suffer them with good graces. :) 
> >
> > I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this network
> > to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
> > initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
> > cannot roam between them
> >
> > As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove back
> > down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to be
> > unique?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for all information!
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> > Jim Peterson, A+, Net+, MCSE
> > Indy Tech
> >
> > To e-mail me, remove everything between
> > "att" and ".net" in my e-mail address.
> >
> >
> > ---
> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > Version: 6.0.714 / Virus Database: 470 - Release Date: 7/2/2004
> >
> >
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.716 / Virus Database: 472 - Release Date: 7/5/2004

Al is correct. All the AP's can have the same SSID, but any AP that is
near another AP should be on a different channel. This part is
probably the most challenging as you can only use 3 channels to be
sure that there is no overlap.

I implemented a wireless solution in a corporate HQ using about 70
AP's. Every AP used the same SSID but AP's nearest each other on the
same floor used different channels as far as possible. There were
generally 4 AP's per floor, so two AP's that were diagonally opposite
had to use the same channel. The AP transmit power was set to 1mw, and
we didn't suffer from any problems. We were able to roam around the
whole building with a laptop connected to the WLAN and maintain our
network connection (constantly running a ping -t to a target address,
plus other more demanding tests as well).

The transmit power settings in a warehouse may need to be set
differently though, depending on whether there is high racking or not,
what type of materials are stored, etc.

Pete
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 6:53:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Indy Tech wrote:
> Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to
> be unique?


on my belkin router 7230-4 and ap 7130 it works like this:

- same SSID
- same channel

for ALL stations.
maybe belkin-specific: bridging-mode supports WEP, but no WPA.
this bridging-mode (aka range-extending-mode) is tricky to
activate, and (for belkin) only possible with this two models.



hugo



--
delete "nospam"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 7:15:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.UNSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:t5FGc.1730$aj.384@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> howdy all,
>
> Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
> question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
> turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
> responses and I will suffer them with good graces. :) 
>
> I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this network
> to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
> initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
> cannot roam between them
>
> As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove back
> down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to be
> unique?

You want to reproduce the real config well, therefore the SSIDs should be
different-
as they are on the target system.

--PA
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 7:15:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Giving the same SSID might make your live a little easy while configuring
computers that might be used in all locations. Otherwise it probably does
not matter.

About SSID.

SSID should be the same across the Network changing SSID will not do any
thing for you to begin with.

Under normal circumstances every Wireless within the range of a Wireless
Network will register when client card scan the Air regardless of the SSID.

However the mere appearances of another Wireless Networks do not mean that
actual packets of information are exchanged.

If your WPA (WEP) is ON and or MAC filtering is used there will be No
exchange of info.

If you want your client to pick only your system you can check the preferred
Network Setting and insert you're SSID (preferred Network is under the
Wireless Network tab in WinXP, and or might be in your client cards
drivers).

http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html



Jack (MVP-Networking).





"Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
news:#m5x#g7YEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.UNSPAM.net> wrote in message
> news:t5FGc.1730$aj.384@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> > howdy all,
> >
> > Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
> > question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax
to
> > turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
> > responses and I will suffer them with good graces. :) 
> >
> > I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this
network
> > to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did
the
> > initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
> > cannot roam between them
> >
> > As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove
back
> > down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to
be
> > unique?
>
> You want to reproduce the real config well, therefore the SSIDs should be
> different-
> as they are on the target system.
>
> --PA
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 3:18:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Actually, for proper roaming, the APs MUST have the same SSID. The channels
will be different and distant by at least 2 to avoid interference. The
biggest the difference between channel numbers, better.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com


"Pete Mainwaring" <peter.mainwaring@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:64d77c87.0407062347.10d96592@posting.google.com...
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:<ujMAtP6YEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> > The AP SSIDs, I believe, should all be the same but the individual APs
should be set to different
> > channels...
> >
> > --
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...
> >
> > "Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.UNSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > news:t5FGc.1730$aj.384@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> > > howdy all,
> > >
> > > Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
> > > question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right
syntax to
> > > turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or
stupid
> > > responses and I will suffer them with good graces. :) 
> > >
> > > I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this
network
> > > to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did
the
> > > initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The
iPaqs
> > > cannot roam between them
> > >
> > > As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove
back
> > > down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need
to be
> > > unique?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for all information!
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------------------------------
> > > Jim Peterson, A+, Net+, MCSE
> > > Indy Tech
> > >
> > > To e-mail me, remove everything between
> > > "att" and ".net" in my e-mail address.
> > >
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> > > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > > Version: 6.0.714 / Virus Database: 470 - Release Date: 7/2/2004
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > ---
> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > Version: 6.0.716 / Virus Database: 472 - Release Date: 7/5/2004
>
> Al is correct. All the AP's can have the same SSID, but any AP that is
> near another AP should be on a different channel. This part is
> probably the most challenging as you can only use 3 channels to be
> sure that there is no overlap.
>
> I implemented a wireless solution in a corporate HQ using about 70
> AP's. Every AP used the same SSID but AP's nearest each other on the
> same floor used different channels as far as possible. There were
> generally 4 AP's per floor, so two AP's that were diagonally opposite
> had to use the same channel. The AP transmit power was set to 1mw, and
> we didn't suffer from any problems. We were able to roam around the
> whole building with a laptop connected to the WLAN and maintain our
> network connection (constantly running a ping -t to a target address,
> plus other more demanding tests as well).
>
> The transmit power settings in a warehouse may need to be set
> differently though, depending on whether there is high racking or not,
> what type of materials are stored, etc.
>
> Pete
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 3:20:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

You won't be able to roam between the APs and within the same network if the
SSIDs are different.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com


"Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message
news:%23m5x%23g7YEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.UNSPAM.net> wrote in message
> news:t5FGc.1730$aj.384@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> > howdy all,
> >
> > Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
> > question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax
to
> > turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
> > responses and I will suffer them with good graces. :) 
> >
> > I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this
network
> > to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did
the
> > initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
> > cannot roam between them
> >
> > As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove
back
> > down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to
be
> > unique?
>
> You want to reproduce the real config well, therefore the SSIDs should be
> different-
> as they are on the target system.
>
> --PA
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 6:46:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks guys... this has been one of the most informative threads I have
accessed this year.

Thanks,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 8, 2004 11:44:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

<hugo.nospamhartmann@gmx.de> wrote in message news:ccfgop$e6r$1@online.de...
>
> Indy Tech wrote:
> > Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to
> > be unique?
>
>
> on my belkin router 7230-4 and ap 7130 it works like this:
>
> - same SSID
> - same channel
>
> for ALL stations.
> maybe belkin-specific: bridging-mode supports WEP, but no WPA.
> this bridging-mode (aka range-extending-mode) is tricky to
> activate, and (for belkin) only possible with this two models.
>
>
>
> hugo
>
>
>
> --
> delete "nospam"

Hugo is describing a repeater setup, not multiple APs wired to the same
Ethernet switch. A repeater must use the same channel as the primary AP.
But in the multiple wired APs scenario, APs within range of each other
should use different channels. Channels 5 numbers apart (like 1, 6, and 11)
won't overlap at all. Channels 3 numbers apart (like 1, 4, 7, 10) will
still work well despite some overlap.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 8, 2004 4:26:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Ron Bandes wrote:
> Hugo is describing a repeater setup, not multiple APs
> wired to the same Ethernet switch.

ok, due to the fact that "bridging-mode" is not a standard,
the manufacturers use the (marketing-) buzzwords "bridge,
range-extention-mode" very inaccurate. Even the belkin-
manuals for 7230-4 and 7130 talk of "wireless bridge".

And now for something completely different:
indytech?s problem :-)
3 warehouses, 3 aps
i assume that the warehouses are standing close together:
the ap in the middle should be "master" and the two others
should be "slave". for all: same SSID and same channel.
(on the belkins you can assign up to four "slaves")
only the "master" is connected to the ethernet.

BUT: this is belkin-specific, and it would help if we
knew the brand/model indytech is currently using.



> A repeater must use the same channel as the primary AP.
> But in the multiple wired APs scenario, APs within range
> of each other should use different channels. Channels 5
> numbers apart (like 1, 6, and 11) won't overlap at all.
> Channels 3 numbers apart (like 1, 4, 7, 10) will
> still work well despite some overlap.

yes, yes, yes...


hugo



--
delete "nospam"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 9, 2004 3:08:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Glad I could ask the right question ;) 

JP

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23yd$csFZEHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thanks guys... this has been one of the most informative threads I have
> accessed this year.
>
> Thanks,
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 9, 2004 3:10:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks, all, for the helpful info. We ended up with the 3 APs on the right
SSID, and as they are all in a row, we put the center on on channel 11 and
the end ones on channel 1, because I noticed a weak signal from a
neighboring business on channel 6.

All is well.

JP

"Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.UNSPAM.net> wrote in message
news:t5FGc.1730$aj.384@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...
> howdy all,
>
> Let me start off by saying I have searched online for answers to this
> question, but apparently haven't been able to discover the right syntax to
> turn up my answers. With that said, feel free to post abusive or stupid
> responses and I will suffer them with good graces. :) 
>
> I am deploying a WLAN to cover 3 warehouses. We will be using this
network
> to keep Compaq iPaq's in contact with an inventory application. I did the
> initial setup, and gave each of the APs distinct SSID names. The iPaqs
> cannot roam between them
>
> As this client is 120 miles away, I wanted to establish before I drove
back
> down there: Can I give all 3 APs the same SSID name, or do they need to
be
> unique?
>
> Thanks in advance for all information!
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> Jim Peterson, A+, Net+, MCSE
> Indy Tech
>
> To e-mail me, remove everything between
> "att" and ".net" in my e-mail address.
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.714 / Virus Database: 470 - Release Date: 7/2/2004
>
>
!