Windows Messenger Media Encryption

Windows Messenger 5.X has the option to enrypt voice and video conversations
(the media stream, not the signaling), does anybody know how this is
implemented ? Is SRTP used ?

chris.
5 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger media encryption
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.livecomm.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Second try with this one, does nobody knoiw how the enryption is
    implemented, not even the MSFT guys ??

    "chk" <noinfo@spam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Windows Messenger 5.X has the option to enrypt voice and video
    > conversations (the media stream, not the signaling), does anybody know how
    > this is implemented ? Is SRTP used ?
    >
    > chris.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.livecomm.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hello Chris,

    sorry for the delay. I've been pretty busy lately.

    chk wrote:
    > Second try with this one, does nobody knoiw how the enryption is
    > implemented, not even the MSFT guys ??
    >
    >> Windows Messenger 5.X has the option to enrypt voice and video
    >> conversations (the media stream, not the signaling), does anybody
    >> know how this is implemented ? Is SRTP used ?

    the encryption is based on DES for audio and video (AFAIR using 56-bit
    encryption) and on TLS for data collaboration.

    HTH

    Regards
    --
    Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]

    Share what you know, learn what you don't!
    (Deja/Google)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.livecomm.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Hm, 56bit DES ... not quite impressive. :)
    Does it conform to the SRTP standard, meaning is it compatible with over SIP
    devices ?

    "Thomas Wenzl [MVP]" <twenzl@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello Chris,
    >
    > sorry for the delay. I've been pretty busy lately.
    >
    > chk wrote:
    >> Second try with this one, does nobody knoiw how the enryption is
    >> implemented, not even the MSFT guys ??
    >>
    >>> Windows Messenger 5.X has the option to enrypt voice and video
    >>> conversations (the media stream, not the signaling), does anybody
    >>> know how this is implemented ? Is SRTP used ?
    >
    > the encryption is based on DES for audio and video (AFAIR using 56-bit
    > encryption) and on TLS for data collaboration.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Regards
    > --
    > Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]
    >
    > Share what you know, learn what you don't!
    > (Deja/Google)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.livecomm.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    chk wrote:
    > Hm, 56bit DES ... not quite impressive. :)
    > Does it conform to the SRTP standard, meaning is it
    > compatible with over SIP devices ?

    I guess not, but I don't know for sure. The RTC
    Protocols and Technologies doc doesn't mention
    SRTP in any way and I also don't remeber any
    note on the NetMeeting documentation.

    Regards
    --
    Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]

    Share what you know, learn what you don't!
    (Deja/Google)
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.livecomm.general (More info?)

    Hello all,
    encryption makes sense,
    but I don´t know how to force Messenger to use encryption.
    I´m pretty sure, that I can do this with a GPO, but I don´t know which value
    is responsible for that.
    I found:
    "Require SIP high-security mode"
    and
    "Specify encryption for computer-to-computer audio and video calls" .
    I set both to enable, but when I trace a voice conversation between two
    messenger users, the UDP/RTP packets seems not to be encrypted (Codec 111 is
    shown, which might be SIREN.).
    Can you give me a definition of these two options?

    I´m using TLS for encryption of the signalling and a LCS2003 .

    Thanks for help !

    Roland

    "Thomas Wenzl [MVP]" schrieb:

    > chk wrote:
    > > Hm, 56bit DES ... not quite impressive. :)
    > > Does it conform to the SRTP standard, meaning is it
    > > compatible with over SIP devices ?
    >
    > I guess not, but I don't know for sure. The RTC
    > Protocols and Technologies doc doesn't mention
    > SRTP in any way and I also don't remeber any
    > note on the NetMeeting documentation.
    >
    > Regards
    > --
    > Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]
    >
    > Share what you know, learn what you don't!
    > (Deja/Google)

Encryption Messenger Microsoft Windows XP