Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Messenger Media Encryption

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:19:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Windows Messenger 5.X has the option to enrypt voice and video conversations
(the media stream, not the signaling), does anybody know how this is
implemented ? Is SRTP used ?

chris.

More about : windows messenger media encryption

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:18:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.livecomm.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Second try with this one, does nobody knoiw how the enryption is
implemented, not even the MSFT guys ??

"chk" <noinfo@spam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:o LAgCMf8EHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Windows Messenger 5.X has the option to enrypt voice and video
> conversations (the media stream, not the signaling), does anybody know how
> this is implemented ? Is SRTP used ?
>
> chris.
>
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 4:11:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.livecomm.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hello Chris,

sorry for the delay. I've been pretty busy lately.

chk wrote:
> Second try with this one, does nobody knoiw how the enryption is
> implemented, not even the MSFT guys ??
>
>> Windows Messenger 5.X has the option to enrypt voice and video
>> conversations (the media stream, not the signaling), does anybody
>> know how this is implemented ? Is SRTP used ?

the encryption is based on DES for audio and video (AFAIR using 56-bit
encryption) and on TLS for data collaboration.

HTH

Regards
--
Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]

Share what you know, learn what you don't!
(Deja/Google)
Related resources
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 5:41:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.livecomm.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hm, 56bit DES ... not quite impressive. :) 
Does it conform to the SRTP standard, meaning is it compatible with over SIP
devices ?

"Thomas Wenzl [MVP]" <twenzl@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:%239otIkC$EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hello Chris,
>
> sorry for the delay. I've been pretty busy lately.
>
> chk wrote:
>> Second try with this one, does nobody knoiw how the enryption is
>> implemented, not even the MSFT guys ??
>>
>>> Windows Messenger 5.X has the option to enrypt voice and video
>>> conversations (the media stream, not the signaling), does anybody
>>> know how this is implemented ? Is SRTP used ?
>
> the encryption is based on DES for audio and video (AFAIR using 56-bit
> encryption) and on TLS for data collaboration.
>
> HTH
>
> Regards
> --
> Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]
>
> Share what you know, learn what you don't!
> (Deja/Google)
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:52:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.livecomm.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

chk wrote:
> Hm, 56bit DES ... not quite impressive. :) 
> Does it conform to the SRTP standard, meaning is it
> compatible with over SIP devices ?

I guess not, but I don't know for sure. The RTC
Protocols and Technologies doc doesn't mention
SRTP in any way and I also don't remeber any
note on the NetMeeting documentation.

Regards
--
Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]

Share what you know, learn what you don't!
(Deja/Google)
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:28:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger,microsoft.public.livecomm.general (More info?)

Hello all,
encryption makes sense,
but I don´t know how to force Messenger to use encryption.
I´m pretty sure, that I can do this with a GPO, but I don´t know which value
is responsible for that.
I found:
"Require SIP high-security mode"
and
"Specify encryption for computer-to-computer audio and video calls" .
I set both to enable, but when I trace a voice conversation between two
messenger users, the UDP/RTP packets seems not to be encrypted (Codec 111 is
shown, which might be SIREN.).
Can you give me a definition of these two options?

I´m using TLS for encryption of the signalling and a LCS2003 .

Thanks for help !

Roland

"Thomas Wenzl [MVP]" schrieb:

> chk wrote:
> > Hm, 56bit DES ... not quite impressive. :) 
> > Does it conform to the SRTP standard, meaning is it
> > compatible with over SIP devices ?
>
> I guess not, but I don't know for sure. The RTC
> Protocols and Technologies doc doesn't mention
> SRTP in any way and I also don't remeber any
> note on the NetMeeting documentation.
>
> Regards
> --
> Thomas Wenzl [MVP for Live Communications Server]
>
> Share what you know, learn what you don't!
> (Deja/Google)
>
!