Auto Logon Preferences

WindowsXP SP2,
OutlookExpress6.0,
WindowsMessenger4.7

How can I make Windows Messenger stop logging on automatically everytime I
open OE6?

I've got the "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts" option unchecked in
the Windows Messenger Tools/Options/Preferences.

I also have the "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" option unchecked
in the Outlook Express Tools/Options/General .

What am I missing? Windows Messenger stills opens and logs on everytime I
open OE6.

BTW, this is a "Pre SP2" occurring event.

Kdub
5
answers
Last reply
More about auto logon preferences

    Greetings,

    To fix this, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Kdub" <Kdub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > WindowsXP SP2,
    > OutlookExpress6.0,
    > WindowsMessenger4.7
    >
    > How can I make Windows Messenger stop logging on automatically everytime I
    > open OE6?
    >
    > I've got the "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts" option unchecked in
    > the Windows Messenger Tools/Options/Preferences.
    >
    > I also have the "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" option unchecked
    > in the Outlook Express Tools/Options/General .
    >
    > What am I missing? Windows Messenger stills opens and logs on everytime I
    > open OE6.
    >
    > BTW, this is a "Pre SP2" occurring event.
    >
    > Kdub

    Thanks Jonathan for the quick reply, but the download fails due to "source
    file cannot be read" error. Any ideas?

    Kdub

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > To fix this, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Kdub" <Kdub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > WindowsXP SP2,
    > > OutlookExpress6.0,
    > > WindowsMessenger4.7
    > >
    > > How can I make Windows Messenger stop logging on automatically everytime I
    > > open OE6?
    > >
    > > I've got the "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts" option unchecked in
    > > the Windows Messenger Tools/Options/Preferences.
    > >
    > > I also have the "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" option unchecked
    > > in the Outlook Express Tools/Options/General .
    > >
    > > What am I missing? Windows Messenger stills opens and logs on everytime I
    > > open OE6.
    > >
    > > BTW, this is a "Pre SP2" occurring event.
    > >
    > > Kdub

    Hi,

    Sounds like you might need to clear your Internet Explorer cache (click the Tools menu, then
    Internet Options, then Delete Files).

    > Thanks Jonathan for the quick reply, but the download fails due to "source
    > file cannot be read" error. Any ideas?
    >
    > Kdub
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> To fix this, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
    >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Kdub" <Kdub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > WindowsXP SP2,
    >> > OutlookExpress6.0,
    >> > WindowsMessenger4.7
    >> >
    >> > How can I make Windows Messenger stop logging on automatically everytime I
    >> > open OE6?
    >> >
    >> > I've got the "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts" option unchecked in
    >> > the Windows Messenger Tools/Options/Preferences.
    >> >
    >> > I also have the "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" option unchecked
    >> > in the Outlook Express Tools/Options/General .
    >> >
    >> > What am I missing? Windows Messenger stills opens and logs on everytime I
    >> > open OE6.
    >> >
    >> > BTW, this is a "Pre SP2" occurring event.
    >> >
    >> > Kdub

    Thanks again Jonathan! It works fine now.

    I use Netscape7.1 and your download wouldn't work using that browser.

    Pulled the IE out of mothballs and it DL'd and installed fine.

    Opened OE and no more WindowsMessenger unless I choose to log on. Exactly
    what I wanted!!

    Kdub

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Sounds like you might need to clear your Internet Explorer cache (click the Tools menu, then
    > Internet Options, then Delete Files).
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Kdub" <Kdub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Jonathan for the quick reply, but the download fails due to "source
    > > file cannot be read" error. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Kdub
    > >
    > > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Greetings,
    > >>
    > >> To fix this, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
    > >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    > >> ____________________________________________
    > >> Jonathan Kay
    > >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > >> Associate Expert
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    > >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >>
    > >> "Kdub" <Kdub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    Glad to hear it =)

    > Thanks again Jonathan! It works fine now.
    >
    > I use Netscape7.1 and your download wouldn't work using that browser.
    >
    > Pulled the IE out of mothballs and it DL'd and installed fine.
    >
    > Opened OE and no more WindowsMessenger unless I choose to log on. Exactly
    > what I wanted!!
    >
    > Kdub
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sounds like you might need to clear your Internet Explorer cache (click the Tools menu,
    >> then
    >> Internet Options, then Delete Files).
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>
    >> "Kdub" <Kdub@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks Jonathan for the quick reply, but the download fails due to "source
    >> > file cannot be read" error. Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Kdub

Outlook Express Messenger Microsoft Windows XP