raid setup w/ abit kg7 raid

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Well i wasn't sure where to post this but since the onboard raid is a part of the motherboard i guess it can go here. So here's the situation, i was planning on getting 2 80gig ata100 HD's and putting them in a raid setup. Now which raid setup should i use? Someone told me raid-0 (isn't that where two or more drives are seen as 1 big drive?), but what are my other options? I just want to play with the raid feature and also i wanted to know that if i was to make two drives look as one (which is what i really want to do) would i be using both controllers or just one, master and slave? Thanks for any input..

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
RAID-0: Striping. This is what you are referring to. The file is "sprayed" onto both disks, some bytes on one the rest on the other (or pages or whatever unit the controller uses) This results in better throughput. Downside: If one disk craps out, both are broken. Do backups more frequently to protect against this. Best setup for RAID-0 is to put each drive on a seperate bus.

RAID-1 - Mirroring. Whatever is written to one disk is also written to the other. This results in better fault tolerance because you have an exact copy (mirror) on each drive so if one craps out the other is still usable. Results in less performance on write as both have to be written to but better performance on reads as either one can be read from. Again, 1 disk on each bus (optimal but not mandatory)

RAID 0+1 - Striping AND Mirroring. Requires 4 drives, 2 on each bus. Basically a combination of both, with 2 drives being striped and the other 2 mirroring the striping. More costly but more reliable AND better throughput. SLIGHTLY less throughput than JUST Striping.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>