How get rid of Windows Messenger

I'm using Win XP Pro and want to get rid of the Win Messenger icon that
appears in the lower right corner of my screen. Also, Messenger is
self-launching itself during a work session.

I've checked Messager's Options and the "Launch on Windows startup" is not
checked. And, it's not in my Startup file.

Please tell me how to get rid of the unwanted icon and prevent unwanted
launches of Win Messenger.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger

    Greetings Hugh,

    The easiest way to handle this is just to remove it entirely (although be aware that a few
    applications that utilize Messenger may have a few issues, in most cases you probably won't
    even notice). To do so, close down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger icon
    in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then
    click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Then click OK.
    Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using Win XP Pro and want to get rid of the Win Messenger icon that
    > appears in the lower right corner of my screen. Also, Messenger is
    > self-launching itself during a work session.
    >
    > I've checked Messager's Options and the "Launch on Windows startup" is not
    > checked. And, it's not in my Startup file.
    >
    > Please tell me how to get rid of the unwanted icon and prevent unwanted
    > launches of Win Messenger.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Jonathan,

    Thanks for your help. It's appreciated.

    Hugh

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Hugh,
    >
    > The easiest way to handle this is just to remove it entirely (although be aware that a few
    > applications that utilize Messenger may have a few issues, in most cases you probably won't
    > even notice). To do so, close down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger icon
    > in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then
    > click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    > RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    >
    > Then click OK.
    > Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm using Win XP Pro and want to get rid of the Win Messenger icon that
    > > appears in the lower right corner of my screen. Also, Messenger is
    > > self-launching itself during a work session.
    > >
    > > I've checked Messager's Options and the "Launch on Windows startup" is not
    > > checked. And, it's not in my Startup file.
    > >
    > > Please tell me how to get rid of the unwanted icon and prevent unwanted
    > > launches of Win Messenger.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Hi Hugh,

    No problem =)

    > Jonathan,
    >
    > Thanks for your help. It's appreciated.
    >
    > Hugh
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Hugh,
    >>
    >> The easiest way to handle this is just to remove it entirely (although be aware that a few
    >> applications that utilize Messenger may have a few issues, in most cases you probably
    >> won't
    >> even notice). To do so, close down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger
    >> icon
    >> in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button, then
    >> click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    >> RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    >>
    >> Then click OK.
    >> Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go
    >> to,
    >> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Hugh" <Hugh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm using Win XP Pro and want to get rid of the Win Messenger icon that
    >> > appears in the lower right corner of my screen. Also, Messenger is
    >> > self-launching itself during a work session.
    >> >
    >> > I've checked Messager's Options and the "Launch on Windows startup" is not
    >> > checked. And, it's not in my Startup file.
    >> >
    >> > Please tell me how to get rid of the unwanted icon and prevent unwanted
    >> > launches of Win Messenger.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP