bios issue - now a slotket issue

nork

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
I have an intel vc820 mobo that I want to get a processor for. If my bios is v 18 then I can use a 1.0 gig processor. Problem is, I dont know which version bios the mobo came with. I have been all over the relevent pages at Intel and cant find the answers I need.
If I dont have version 18 bios then I imagine I cannot use the 1 gig processor, I can only use a p3 600, which is the max allowed with the minimum bios that the mobo came with when it was built. Is a true statement?
How can I find out what the bios version is and can I install the newest version bios without having a processor on board? If so, how do I do this? If not, how do I go about getting a 1.0 processor to work on this mobo?
Here is the info from the box that the mobo came in:

BIOS CODE ON SIDE OF BOX
BOXVC820R
AA744044-407 AUDIO BLVC03204207
35858 14028

ON MOBO - FACTORY INSTALLED TAPE = BLVC03204207 AA 744044-407

ALSO: NEAR 5TH PCI SLOT : E139761 - this is burned into the mobo
My skill level would be on the low end of intermediate. I have put a few computers together. When they work right out of the gate I believe I am very skilled. When I get to a dilemma like this, I realize my skills are actually rather limited!
Help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nork on 01/27/02 01:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
dude, just flash your BIOS. Get the latest <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/vc/vc_bios.htm" target="_new">Here</A>. Nothing to it.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

nork

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
You didnt read my whole thread. It points out that I havent yet got a cpu for the mobo yet cuz I dont know which bios is on the mobo. If its less than version 17 I cant use a 1.0 gig cpu. But I got hold of a p3-450 and tried that. It worked and I can now see that version 18 bios has been installed and I can go ahead and get a 1 gig cpu.
Anyone have a slot 1, 1 gig or 966 or 933 cpu w 133 fsb they want to sell?

nork

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
Update
I borrowed a slot 1 p2-450 to get going and I find that I already have the latest bios, v 18, so I am all set there.
I did try 2 different slotkets with a p3-900 and no go. I have not had good luck with slotkets except for the ones provided me when I purchased a cpu and slotket. What is the difference, how can I tell which type is which, which type is it that I need? I would like to get a slotket that works as I would save a lot of money.

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Asus, Abit, Iwill, and MSI all made good slotkets. Be aware that there are TWO types of slotkets, the older ones that support only PPGA (early Celeron) CPU's and those that support both those and FC-PGA (Celeron II and PIII) CPU's. As long as you have the newer type (and have it set to the FC-PGA setting) you should be fine. If you have a problem, the Slotket is defective, or else your motherboard isn't supporting Coppermine PIII's (in which case even a Slot 1 1000EB wouldn't work).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?