Sign in with
Your question

Why the IWill XP333 is the way to go!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 22, 2002 3:47:53 PM

Anandtech recently wrote a review of a group of motherboards and they think it's "...one of the best AMD motherboards out there now".

See for yourself <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=15" target="_new">here</A>

IMO, this is probably one of the hottest (as in best) mobos to come along since the 440BX! I strongly recommend it to all Athlon users! RID YOURSELF OF VIA! GET YOURSELF SOME DDR2700, and you'll have the fastest, and most stable mobo available for the Athlon (XP) platform!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

More about : iwill xp333

January 22, 2002 5:10:44 PM

I just found out that the xp333 board has different nominations...i think...if so, wich one are you reffering to, specificaly?

i.e.

IWill XP333-R Motherboard Review January 19th, 2002 11:30 PM
Iwill XP333-R Overclocking Review December 11th, 2001 3:41 PM
Iwill XP333-R MAGiK 1 M1647 (Rev C) Motherboard Review December 9th, 2001 11:21 PM
ALi MAGiK 1 Rev.C Chipset: Iwill XP333-R Review November 27th, 2001 7:08 AM
Iwill XP333 Engineering Board Preview
thanks again...

Dan
January 22, 2002 5:12:41 PM

ohh, sorry, I was referring to the latest one.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
January 22, 2002 5:18:48 PM

So that would be the XP333-R...yes?

What is that "MAGIC 1 M1647" thing?
January 22, 2002 5:20:55 PM

Quote:

So that would be the XP333-R...yes?

Yes, that's it. The only difference between the XP333-R and the XP333 is that the XP333-R has a RAID controller on board.

Quote:

What is that "MAGIC 1 M1647" thing?

That's the name of the chipset it has.

January 22, 2002 5:37:06 PM

Gee AMD_Man......where do you get all that knowledge?
you must read about computers all day long :o )
I shure wish i had a friend like you around....

What does the RAID controller do anyways?
January 22, 2002 6:28:23 PM

Well I certainly like what I've seen about the XP333. But I'm bashful about overclocking--it's all like voodoo or something. And this article indicates you can only benefit from PC2700 memory if you overclock the XP333. Everyone might already know this and it probably does not matter to
overclockers, but here's the link and a clip:

-----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/mainboards/iwill-xp333r/

The matter is that DDR333 support on Iwill XP333-R is a purely marketing trick. In reality, there is simply nothing of the kind. When we booted the system built on XP333-R in our testlab, we first of all tried to check how well it worked with DDR333 memory. However, though we did our best we failed to find any jumpers of settings in the BIOS, which could allow us clocking the system bus and the memory bus asynchronously. So, the memory on Iwill XP333-R works only synchronously with FSB, just like on older AMD-760 based mainboards. As a result, if you use XP333-R with the Duron CPUs and the youngest Athlon processors, the memory will appear working at 100MHz. When the system is built with the latest Athlon or Athlon XP CPUs, the memory works at 133MHz (we are talking about the nominal mode here). And it means exactly the support of PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM.

-me-
January 22, 2002 6:54:04 PM

Yes AMD_Man the Iwill is almost as good as the Abit. What seperates them is IWill is cheaper and has good sound. So I say if you have the money go Abit. The Abit is faster and as stabilty second to none. none none non none

My VIA board run great, very stably, very fast. Same with my Win98 very stable, very fast.

And don't take my word for it, you suplied the sight.

The Winners and Conclusion
With the departure of the AMD 760 chipset, the VIA KT266A has taken control of the market and is now the most widely available AMD chipset. The chipset is by far the fastest AMD platform out there, and it's capable of bringing out the full potential of AMD processors. As the chipset continues to mature, we will start to see more solid KT266A solutions in terms of performance and stability. At the same time a lot of manufacturers have put in some very nice features in their boards to make them stand out from the crowd.
Choice Bronze Award with the AK35GTR. As a successor of their AK31 Rev. 3.1, the AK35GTR offers an extra IDE RAID controller and upgraded audio. The board performs very well and it offers some reasonable overclocking. If anything, the 4 DIMM slots on the AK35GTR helps Shuttle to edge the third runner up, the Soyo Dragon Plus!.
It has been a very long road for EPoX, but they have also gone a long way. Their former products didn't catch many eyes, but their recent products stand out. The EPoX EP-8KHA+, our AnandTech Editors Choice Silver Award winner, is yet another example. When it first came out, there was no doubt it was one of the best KT266A boards yet. Even with the challenged posted by the ABIT KR7-RAID, EPoX was able to keep up with a new BIOS release that enables a lot of people to reach FSB speeds of well over 200MHz. While we weren't able to reach that milestone, what EPoX has done with the EP-8KHA+ definitely earns them the title.
Time after time, ABIT surprises us. They used to be one of the pioneers in releasing new motherboards using a new chipset, but that hasn't been the case lately. They take their time to find out what's truly needed by users and design the best solution. The ABIT KR7-RAID didn't come out until the end of November 2001, but without a doubt, it's the best KT266A board out there. The most important thing ABIT did was the implementation of 4 DIMM slots, something hardly any other manufacturers have attempted. The board also overclocks very well, and the new Highpoint RAID controller definitely helps to make the KR7-RAID the recipient of AnandTech Editors Choice Gold Award.
However, we should never forget about the Iwill XP333-R. The board offers a lot of room for overclocking, and its performance is on par with the KR7-RAID. It does not have the same level of flexibility with the KR7-RAID in terms of memory configuration, but it does overclock better and it has a very nice integrated audio device. Both boards offer the Highpoint HPT372 RAID controller, which is a plus, but keep in mind that the XP333-R runs at around $40 cheaper than the KR7-RAID.
Again, it ultimately comes down to what you need. Do you need the four DIMM slots for more memory? If so the KR7-RAID is definitely the way to go. But if you are only planning on installing 256MB PC2100 DDR <javascript:WinOpen('shkey.html?i=4','300','200');> SDRAM, it could be more beneficial to go after the XP333-R, which is cheaper, has better overclocking, and nice integrated audio.
January 22, 2002 6:57:39 PM

Quote:

The matter is that DDR333 support on Iwill XP333-R is a purely marketing trick. In reality, there is simply nothing of the kind. When we booted the system built on XP333-R in our testlab, we first of all tried to check how well it worked with DDR333 memory. However, though we did our best we failed to find any jumpers of settings in the BIOS, which could allow us clocking the system bus and the memory bus asynchronously. So, the memory on Iwill XP333-R works only synchronously with FSB, just like on older AMD-760 based mainboards. As a result, if you use XP333-R with the Duron CPUs and the youngest Athlon processors, the memory will appear working at 100MHz. When the system is built with the latest Athlon or Athlon XP CPUs, the memory works at 133MHz (we are talking about the nominal mode here). And it means exactly the support of PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM.

I consider that X-bit article to be uninformed and unintelligent. Why? Simply due to the fact that they don't know what they're talking about. Raising the FSB isn't overclocking because the Iwill XP333 is designed for the 166MHz and 200MHz.

Apparently, these (excuse my expession) backward thinking people who wrote the article think that DDR333 support is running the RAM at 333Mhz and asyncronously from the bus (at 266MHz). Obviously, any person with any knowledge of memory/FSB performance and some common sense would know that running RAM asyncrounously is practically useless (the FSB will almost always be the bottleneck!). If you have an unlocked processor or you unlock your processor, you are literally overclocking NOTHING and getting better performance for FREE (that is if you don't look at the slight price premium that has to be paid for the PC2700 over PC2100), as you can lower the multiplier and run the AGP/PCI bus at the correct specs.

January 22, 2002 7:53:55 PM

This post is dropping fast. bump
January 22, 2002 8:09:25 PM

Quote:

The Abit is faster and as stabilty second to none. none none non none

I wouldn't say that if I were you when you realize you have incompatible hardware or an un-stable WinXP setup. Trust me, I have experience with the same board. My friend has one! It's still nearly as buggy as the KT133A (Which was the worst board). And it's not a misconfiguration or a user-error, I assure you that. I'm sorry, but experience with various boards has showed me the exact opposite of what you claim.

January 22, 2002 8:52:33 PM

I'm sorry but those are not my words, but words from reviews. (s) more then one saying the KR7A board is very stable, second to none.
I also seen a review where the guy said he over clock the board to 180MHZ.
My win98 was acting up from the start the last time I formatted it. I'm not one to leave well enough alone. I even had problems with my Win2000, because people going around crying wolf, so I quickly update my 4-1 drivers, and fix something that wasn't broke.
I got my drivers off my last mobo and put them on both my KR7A Win98 and my KT7A-R KT133A win2000 and they are running sweet. It's to no help on hear though, were I here this driver is no good and this one is no good. Not to offend anybody, especially if they tried to help me, but I think you know what I mean.

As for XP don't blame it on VIA, I'm sure you will though. I'm also sure the other chips have problems with XP too. I don't really care. What I don't like is the VIA bashing, there are fixes and drivers if needed, but if it's broken don't fix it. I wish you would give VIA a brake like you do your ATi card.
You choice what you want and I choice what I want. Everybody should be respected in their own choice. And to clam one over the other as the best is personal opinion and not fact. Unless you have proof. But things change so fast what's new news is soon old news.

Sorry no edit to mispelled words

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 01/22/02 06:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 22, 2002 9:13:01 PM

Well, admittedly I don't know enough about it to decide what's bunk and what's not. I have to rely on what I can find on the web. Then I have to figure out who really knows what they are talking about. X-bit seems questionable. AMD_Man, you sound like you know what your talking about, but can I bet my wallet on it? ;) 

Quality, stability, compatibility, speed, being able to jam in a thoroughbred down the road! Maybe IWILL can do all that for me.

-me-
January 22, 2002 9:16:29 PM

Hehe, the VIA bugs are proof. The stability tests test Anandtech are artifical but they do incidiate perceivable stability. Notice the word PERCEIVABLE. The problem with VIA is that their bugs aren't perceivable. But when you get bitten by them you'll cry. I have a KT7A too! It's perceivably stable. No crashes, nothing.

VIA problems are FACTS not opinion. Show me FACTS that say otherwise and I'll agree with you.

I'll give you the one that the VIA/nVidia/XP bug may or not be completely VIA's fault. But VIA makes buggy chipsets. There is no question about it! It's a FACT!

Overclocking to 180MHz on the KR7A maybe possible but it won't be stable or safe. In fact, it may destroy the hard drive. The IWill XP333 supports the 166MHz and 200MHz with guaranteed stability, assuming you have the proper RAM and your CPU is unlocked.

The IWill XP333 is the best in the things I listed (performance at 166MHz, stability (anything non-VIA is stable), and overclockablity (anything in between 133 and 200MHz will probably be stable). While, most boards definitely have some of these advantages, none of the other boards I know have all. These are the top 3 things enthusiasts look for. I'm not saying the IWill XP333 is the best for everybody, I'm saying it's the best for most people here.

In any case, I strongly recommend against anything made by VIA. Do yourself a favour and get an nForce, Sis735/745 or ALi Magik1 motherboard and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches in the future.

January 22, 2002 9:27:09 PM

I have to go to school. I all ready know ther is know winning with you.
Beside I don't care. I'll soon have 3 speedy computers, if I wanted the Iwill or anything els I would buy it. It sure wouldn't be my last upgrade. So hehe to yourself, grow up dood
January 22, 2002 9:37:50 PM

Quote:

I all ready know ther is know winning with you.

Please show me examples of my supposed whining? I have been completely serious. I am merely responding to your posts.

Quote:

So hehe to yourself, grow up dood

One could say the same to you...

January 22, 2002 9:37:52 PM

Ahh, what's with these double posts! I didn't even click twice<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 01/22/02 07:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2002 3:55:18 AM

One wonders where the news went on the Leadtek Winfast 735 board-for comparisons sake. Who knows, could it be even bettter than the XP333? Why don't we hear about it anymore, it's still for sale!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
January 23, 2002 5:55:05 AM

what other components would you add onto IWILL XP333 ?

i'm thinking
xp1700+
leadtek gf3 ti200 128 mb.
512 pc2700 DDR.

but i heard that you have to unlock the cpu to gain full advantage of IWILL...
January 23, 2002 9:56:23 AM

Personally im gonna wait on the ALI 1681 chipsets. DDR333, agp 8, hypertransport. The southbridge is supposed to have: hypertransport, USB2 and serial ata.

Due out toward the end of this year. Just in time for me to have to upgrade again to support the hammer :) 
January 23, 2002 10:11:51 AM

Quote:

One wonders where the news went on the Leadtek Winfast 735 board-for comparisons sake. Who knows, could it be even bettter than the XP333? Why don't we hear about it anymore, it's still for sale!

The Leadtek board may be great but I've seen nothing on it, not even the specs!

January 23, 2002 2:20:45 PM

Hi again....well, my research tell me (so far) that maybe i won't be able to get the Iwill mobo :o (
My friend who will probably sell me my next machine had never heard of that name, he made several phone calls and researches and so far (i'll give him some time though) has been unable to find a place where to get that mobo....Oh!, maybe i should point out that i live in Canada (Montreal)...maybe that brand is not (yet) available on this side of the border......that is one of the problems we have with the www, we read on a lot of things to finaly find out that they are not available over here :-(

Anyways...do you have any other non VIA mobos to recommend me if i can't get the Iwill?
Are there any other chipsets than the Ali Magic that are suitable for my AthlonXP?

Thanx in advance

Dan
January 23, 2002 2:55:30 PM

hmm, I live in Canada too, but in Toronto. Look at <A HREF="http://www.canadacomputers.com" target="_new">Canada Computers</A>.

January 23, 2002 3:50:05 PM

I found one review on the Leadtek SiS735, but nothing too interesting. rcf84 bought one, anyone interested could always ask him.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2002 4:08:53 PM

"Obviously, any person with any knowledge of memory/FSB performance and some common sense would know that running RAM asyncrounously is practically useless (the FSB will almost always be the bottleneck!)."

Does "asyncrounously" mean having the RAM running at a different speed to the FSB of the motherboard?
I was planning on getting this board, does that mean that I would have to unlock my Athlon XP and decrease the clock multiplier so the chip still ran at the same clock rate but the memory went at 166MHz?
Or can it be done leaving the procesor alone?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2002 5:50:34 PM

You could probably leave some locked down with proper cooling, ie at least water cooling, probably something better.

Take the XP1600 for example. Stock it's like, 133MHZ FSB X 10.5 multiplier = 1400MHz core speed. Now do the math for 166MHz FSB. 10.5 X 166MHz = 1743MHz. 343MHz sounds like a lot to me.

Not that I won't try it myself, that is if the stupid UPS guy ever gets here.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2002 6:26:22 PM

The thing I don't like about that review is it is impossible to see what the effect of the 166MHz FSB, and DDR333 really have on a system. The one benchmark they have showing the FSB/memory running at 166, the core speed is like 300MHz faster than the ones in the other tests, thats cheating. From these results, the extra spped could have come from the extra memory bandwidth OR the extra core speed. There is no way to know.

There needs to be a comparison where the FSB and memory are allowed to run at 166MHz, and the core speed is as close to stock as godly possible. Compare that system to one where everything is running as AMD intended, ie 133MHS FSB/memory.
January 23, 2002 6:46:00 PM

Quote:
Apparently, these (excuse my expession) backward thinking people who wrote the article think that DDR333 support is running the RAM at 333Mhz and asyncronously from the bus (at 266MHz). Obviously, any person with any knowledge of memory/FSB performance and some common sense would know that running RAM asyncrounously is practically useless (the FSB will almost always be the bottleneck!).

Not true. The theoretical limit of DDR @ 133MHz is 2.1GB/s. When's the last time you saw that in Sandra? Running it asynchronously would let you get closer to that number, and give the CPU all the bandwidth you could want.

Otherwise, this board isn't really anything special.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
January 23, 2002 7:53:07 PM

Quote:
Anandtech recently wrote a review of a group of motherboards and they think it's "...<font color=red>one of the best AMD motherboards out there now".</font color=red>

See for yourself here

IMO, this is probably one of the hottest <font color=red>(as in best) </font color=red>mobos to come along since the 440BX! I strongly recommend it to all Athlon users! <font color=red>RID YOURSELF OF VIA!</font color=red> GET YOURSELF SOME DDR2700, <font color=red>and you'll have the fastest, and most stable mobo available for the Athlon (XP) platform!</font color=red>

AMD_Man
I don't understand why you keep saying this is the best mobo around. From what I read its no faster stock, and when over clock the Abit was still faster.

Also the hottest thing around is not the IWill, but the VIA, but here you still slam VIA. I have the Abit and I'm running it at 1633 from 1533 and it's very stable. I can get it as high as 1725, maybe higher, but lose stability when playing games. I can also run higher then 1633, but that's to many volts for me. And my XP is still lock.

From this review it looks like the award goes to Abit, not IWill. <font color=red>KR7-RAID the recipient of AnandTech Editors Choice Gold Award.</font color=red> They did say IWill was cheaper and had good sound. And as for one of the best mobo, well there are a few that are pretty darn good. But no where did I ever see anyone beside you say this is the best mobo.

<font color=red>RID YOURSELF OF VIA!</font color=red>

I don't know how you can say this either.

<font color=red>This leaves us with by far the most desirable Athlon platform on the market - VIA's KT266A.</font color=red> While most manufacturers won't touch their Pentium 4 chipsets with a 10 foot pole, there isn't a single motherboard manufacturer in Taiwan that isn't happy to feature the KT266A chipset. <font color=red>Much of the success of the AMD Athlon XP's launch can be attributed to this chipset which performs so very well and allows the processor to truly spread its wings. With a chipset this important, how could we not make a roundup out of it?</font color=red>

There isn't any talk about any other chip making such an impact as the VIA.

I do have better things to do, but I feel this is misrepresentation.
1. The IWill is not the hottest or best mobo
2. Rid yourself of VIA is bias, when in fact VIA is the hottest chip.
January 23, 2002 9:41:21 PM

Quote:

I do have better things to do, but I feel this is misrepresentation.
1. The IWill is not the hottest or best mobo
2. Rid yourself of VIA is bias, when in fact VIA is the hottest chip.

1.) How many times do I have to say it is an opinion and yet you attack me nonethetime. Being on this forum for over 6 months and with nearly 3000 posts (just under Ancient Poster now), I would hope that my opinions, ideas and experiences are at least respected, as I have helped countless numbers of people on this forum. Crashman's opinions are never disputed, for example. He makes an opinion and everyone agrees. When I then make a similar claim, I am attacked and torn apart. I seriously didn't expect ANY "VIA Lovers" in this community, with the countless horror stories we are hearing.

2.) VIA has always been too "hot" for it's own good. Their boards are selling like hotcakes, and they never seem to concentrate on testing for bugs. I had thought ever would love to jump at the chance to get away from VIA, but apparently I was wrong. I thought people would be excited to hear that there is a viable alternative to VIA (buggy), nForce (integrated graphics and so slightly higher priced), and SiS (whose boards are scarce, other than the cheap ECS board, which may not be an option for some). This was never meant to be bashing, it was meant to enlighten some of the people here on alternatives. Personally, I don't see why you are attacking me everyother post, no matter what the topic is. I say WinXP is a good OS, even for gaming now, you say NO! I say the IWill is an excellent board, you attack me! I have a feeling that you are not defending VIA, but simply attacking each of my opinions and recommendations. I don't know how much experience you have with VIA but I've worked with 4 or 5 VIA boards before, and I'm merely basing my recommendation on that experience with VIA bugs.

January 24, 2002 12:26:46 AM

>>1.) How many times do I have to say it is an opinion and yet you attack me nonethetime. Being on this forum for over 6 months and with nearly 3000 posts (just under Ancient Poster now), I would hope that my opinions, ideas and experiences are at least respected,<<

I don't see anywhere in your post where you say it is an opinion. >>IMO, this is probably one of the hottest (as in best) mobos to come along since the 440BX! I strongly recommend it to all Athlon users! RID YOURSELF OF VIA! GET YOURSELF SOME DDR2700, and you'll have the fastest, and most stable mobo available for the Athlon (XP) platform!<<

I been here at Toms for close to 3 yrs I even bought his book, though I only been in the community for a short time. I built my first mobo that Tom's gave the two thumps up too. Having nearly 3000 post doesn't mean to much, I mean how many of those were useful where you learned something or help someone? I notice when I debate with you you tend to like to rub it in if your right, or laugh at me like I'm an idiot and show no respect towards me or my input or if someone els frags me you put your two cents in and like to team up. Go back to gaming if you need reminding or 4-1 drivers.
But, this would have nothing to do with me attacking you here. I'm attacking your clams, which now you clearly say are only your opinion. Well, then my mistake I thought you were saying the IWill was the hottest and best mobo for the Athlon.

I'm not hear to attack anyone. That's no fun, well maybe a little, but it's to easy to get carried away and become attack ourselves and that's no fun. So if it's no fun being attack, maybe we should practice not attacking.

The way I look at it is I love computers I love learning, this is the place to be for that. So if someone says something, but I heard something els I'm going to bring it up. It doesn't mean I'm right, but I'm searching for the truth. Sometimes I have to take a few lumps or get fragged, but at least I learn.

As for the VIA there are a lot of people with these mobo, and your telling them VIA is buggy. I think I know enough to say all computers are buggy. Whenever something new comes out we can expect thing to be buggy. Your IWill board had a lot of bugs off the start. If I'm not wrong they still have bugs. Something about 133-166 you might know what I'm talking about. what about the video board you have ATI that has a lot of bugs, didn't it take like a hole year for a driver to come out. Again I'm sure you know this all very well. I believe the gf3 is the best and fastest, but I don't go around saying the ATi has bugs. I know I'm getting way off track, but in this some where you might see where I'm coming from.

I've had 3 K7V, 2 KT7A-R, 1 A7M266, 1 KR7A all these board have been good to me all over clock well and they always booted, accept when I shorted out 2 of the K7V hay I was just starting out. lol These mobo are tough. My win98 is back to top notch running better then ever and I would put it up against XP anytime. Not in bench marks where I would need a gf3 and have everything over clock to proof something. UT is my game and my card is close to a gfTi500 for UT, but half the card in other games. My Win2000 is new to me, but I got that running great too. These are VIA boards and my gamer has SBLive. I know you might be tired of hearing that. I don't build buggy stuff.
!