Linksys version differences

Can anyone tell me what distinguishes the Linksys WPC-11 PCMCIA
wireless card, version 3 from the version 4 model?

I see both versions offered on eBay, and I'd like to get something
so that I can try out my new Linksys wireless router with my old
laptop. But I don't want to wind up with version 3 if the version
4 is significantly better.

-- Ron
Hamilton, ON

Ronald Hands wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what distinguishes the Linksys WPC-11 PCMCIA wireless
> card, version 3 from the version 4 model?

Never mind. Found an answer via Google. Different (and not
necessarily better) chipset in the version 4.

-- Ron

If I may make a suggestion... Get the WPC54G instead of the WPC11.

I have both the WPC54Gv1 and the WPC11v3 and the WPC11v3 does not work
properly with the current firmware of my WRT54Gv1 router (basically, ever
since Linksys fixed the WPA over 802.11b bug in the router). I do not know
if the WPC11v4 will suffer the same problems (altough, this may be limited
to the WRT54G), but given that everything these days is moving to 802.11g
and beyond, I would not expect Linksys to improve their 802.11b products
much further. However, if price is a big issue, the WPC11 works reasonably
well (except with a WRT54Gv1).

-Yves