WTF, floppy drive gone psycho!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, so I wanted to test out an old PCI 2 mb vid card, so I took out my quadro dcc, and stuck it in a pci slot. It worked, so I took it out, and put it back (I shut off comp before it got to windows...just wanted to see if it sent signal). So anyways, back goes my quadro, and I plug in my comp and don't have a floppy drive! It says irq 6 is in use by something else (it says used by TPkd- wtf is that??) and that is why the floppy can't be used. Now, in BIOS it gives no option to mess w/ irq 6- it skips from 5 to 7. Same in Windows, and I can't find what device is using the IRQ! Plz help cause I need the floppy drive badly, and can't figure out wtf teh prob is, and why windows xp won't let me change its IRQ setting. Oh yeah, I have FIC Ad11 mobo w/ 1.2 Ghz T-bird, 512 DDR.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
is it possible in bios to setup as PNP OS "Yes" ?? perhaps windoze xp will reconfig for ya after a reboot ( lame idea here but I'd try it lol)

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, it might work.

oh yeah, and lagger, you know how computers run on smoke?
well, i put a shim on mine to help me keep the smoke in mine when i move it around.
hehe
gotta keep that smoke in there. :smile:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You probably have set PnP OS to YES.

Take Crashman's advice.

Windows, while the floppy was absent (although I can't see how this has happened unless you disabled the floppy controller in BIOS), has reassigned your IRQ 6. Resetting the Configuration Data (ESCD) should force windows to redetect IRQs.

update: disregard part of that. I misread your post and see that your vid card was what was out of the system not your floppy but try resetting ESCD anyway.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 01/23/02 04:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>