Anonying restart after shutdown on my spare comp.

LastStop

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
Okay I have an AMD K6-3 400 on an Asus Mobo, can't remember and for some reason whenever I shutdown Win2k, the monitor blanks and after a couple of seconds the system restarts. I always have to push the power buttone after it posts. I havn't troubleshooted it yet but I think it could be the bios.

svol

Champion
Maybe a 'restart after powerdown' option or something is enabled in the BIOS, or Windows2K is not good configurated.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
usually what causes this is a pci card. what happens is along the lines of WOL (wake on lan) or wake on usb, etc. when the signal is sent to power down the system the card will block it and send it's own signal to power up. i've run into this problem with my adaptec fireconnect 4300 card. a couple ways you could try this is:
one by one physically remove the pci cards from the system to pinpoint the exact card. and/or go into bios and disable any "suspend mode" features . i needed the firewire card so i disabled suspend modes in bios and all is well now. hope it works out.

[insert philosophical statement here]

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
If you are using ROXIO burner software...there are issues that mimic your problem which require a patch from their website.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.