Does chipset depend on CPU?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
815 E or ep for coppermine cpu's (they end in the suffix EB for eg. 800EB)

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
815 E or ep for coppermine cpu's (they end in the suffix EB for eg. 800EB) this is in conjunction with a 370 pin socket flipchip design usually

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>

I use an Abit BX133-RAID mobo for my PIII GHz. It does the business.

Check it out. <A HREF="http://www.abit.nl/eng/product/mb/bx133.htm" target="_new">BX133-R</A>

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
i815 if you think you need AGP4x and UDMA 100. BX if you've realized that higher memory performance with AGP2x yields better performance than AGP4x with midiocre memory performance. The i815 is good, but I just upgraded to a BX from the i815!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A chipset is designed for a specific CPU, but there are a number of chipsets designed for one CPU.

So you should be deciding first on the CPU, then on the chipset and then on the make of the board.

Before deciding any chipset, you should know its features, what it supports and all, which are usually reflected in the motherboard specifications. About its compatibility and performance reports you can checkout various review sites like tomshadrware, anandtech, xbitlabs etc. or just follow the discussions in here.

slots or sockets are developed as need arises, so usually there are different speed ranges the processor is available in each form. and although it is/was made, its still difficult to find the one that you need, e.g. P-III 1 GHz 100 MHz FSB slot1 processor!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>