new mobo/cpu for my computer

oron

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
OK.
Here's my situation.
I have a Compaq Presario 5861 which came with the FIC-SD11 Mainboard and an Athlon slot-a 600mhz CPU.
I have since upgraded it with more ram, faster/bigger hard drives (2 new ata100 drives, although the machine only supports 66), new GeForce2 video card, 16x cd-rw, etc., etc.

SO, eventually here i'm going to need a new mobo and cpu. I am almost assuredly going to go AMD again, unless someone can convince my that Intel is worth 2x the price (not likely).
Anyway, i'm not *quite* ready to buy, and i'm also wondering if i should wait a little bit for AMD's new thing, most likely .13m chips.

My question is, how long should I wait, and what motherboard is the *best* out there for performance/upgradeability/future safe?

Thanks!!

oron

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
it does what i want, but it's just now starting to get on the slow side. like i said, i'm not ready to buy anything quite yet, but i'm looking into what's ahead for AMD, when the best time to upgrade will be, and which mobo manufacturer will be the best.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best time to upgrade is about two months after a new processor series is released, then look for the "best bang for the buck" in that series and overclock it!
The best video card is one that is about 4 to 6 moths old, sense it takes that long for games to use the new features anyway, and the price usually drops by half over that period.

Right now is the best time to upgrade to an XP. 6 months from now should be the best time to upgrade to a thoroughbred. Two or three months from now will be the best time to upgrade to a Radeon 8500.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I started promoting the XP333 before it became popular, and think it's probably one of the best. But I would like to see more comparisons with the Leadtek Winfast board (with the 735 chipset). I think the 735 is probably one of the best chipsets, but lacking support of quality board makers (due to threats from VIA against companies who use that chipset), I would probably go with the XP333 instead.
Yes, if I had to buy now, it would be the XP333 (lacking better information on the Leadtek board). But I'm hoping manufacturers who are sick of being pushed around by VIA will eventually support the SiS745, and that the next nVidia chipset revision will be a marked improvement over the current one. So by taking my time I'm hoping I get more choices.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?