Motherboard misdetecting my CPU as well

G

I just got some parts and tried to upgrade one of our two systems.. I put in a GA-7VTXE Gigabyte motherboard..(runs with Via Kt266-A chipset)..anyhow.. de default settings were set to 100mhz instead of 133 as you guys said, but setting it to 133 hasnt changed anything :(..I still detects my cpu as a 1.1ghz instead of 1.47(athlon 1700+)
..I downloaded some progs from amd to test the cpu and the give the same results. Anyhow..if you can help let me know.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The GA-7VTXE has a jumper onboard that will set the FSB to 133 MHz.

Set the CLK-JP just below the third PCI slot to 1-2. If you have unlocked your processor, you can also use the CK_RATIO switch just below the USB connectors to set the multiplier.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know much about Gigabyte boards, but did you check for an updated BIOS? Most of the boards today need a BIOS flash before they will properly recognize the new XP chips.

Scout

G

I am having the same problem with my system.

I have a system that is running a Soyo Dragon Plus (with latest bios update - kvxb2a2) and Crucial 256 PC2100. I was temporarily using a Duron 700 until my new 1800 XP came in the mail.

I installed the Athlon XP 1800, and before booting reset the CMOS just to be safe. When the boot screen came up the cpu was listed as 1150 mhz. I reset the computer to see if the cpu freq. would fix itself automatically and the computer gave me 2 beeps and shutdown. Then I reset the CMOS again, and the computer began to boot and listed the 1150 again.

So far, it seems to be an endless cycle of this happening. Soyo's tech support assures me that the cpu should be automatically detected by the motherboard, but I'm having no luck thus far.

Anyone know a solution to this, or what cpu ratios/vcores, etc. I might want to try? Thanks for the help.

G

Just a side line question, but girish mentioned "unlocked your processor". I am upgrading my system to a Giga-Byte GA-7DXR+ and AMD Athlon XP 1600+. Do I/should I have to worry about "unlocking" my processor? What is "unlocking the processor" anyway?

Thx guys.

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
"Unlocking" your cpu just means that you've connected some bridges that allow you to set the cpu multiplier. When multplied by the fsb (100 or 133), you get your cpu's rated speed. You don't need to worry about unlocking your cpu unless you're going to overclock. AXP's are pretty difficult to unlock as I understand.

Alcohol- the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. -Homer Simpson

G

I had done that earlier, and thought that would have been the logical step to setup to cpu. At the time it didn't work, but I decided to give it another try after your post. And luckily the damn thing is working now.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.