G

Anyone know anything about this board? I'm in the process of upgrading my PII/DFI P2XBL system, but common sense is telling me it's probably not worth it. So, I'm now looking for a new system-case and all. I've decided to try my had as "general contractor" on this job and build it myself. The wife thinks I should just order a Dell because she's witnessed some of my Tim Taylor moments in the past.(can't blame her). The current machine is tenatively earmarked for a now-computerless relative.

So, based on some reviews and articles, I think the Soltek SL 75DRV4 is what will give my new system the longest life between upgrades. I assume that most of the KT266A mobos on the market now are "good", but the Soltek seemed to have the best array of desireble features, especially the UDMA 133 interface and extra software.

Anyone dislike this board for any reason? Also, has anyone seen a good kit or bundle deal using the Soltek SL 75DRV4 mobo? The CPU and mobo prices are murder when purchsed separately. Also I was thinking of going with regular PC133 ram instead of PC2100. Will I see a BIG performance hit because of this?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
The wife thinks I should just order a Dell
dude, yer gettin a Dell!

The CPU and mobo prices are murder when purchsed separately
I disagree. If you know where to shop.

. Also I was thinking of going with regular PC133 ram instead of PC2100. Will I see a BIG performance hit because of this
You'll see quite a large performance hit. The board won't work, becuase it's not do-able. DDR SDRAM is mandatory.

AFA first time building, the only thing I would advise is to first play around with your existing system (try to rip it apart and re-assemble it, backing up your important documents first.) I did a lot of this type of stuff (swapping in new expansion cards/drives etc.) before I built my first new system. It's not really that hard but just get a little stick time on a less expensive box before you tackle the expensive one.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
i am using soltek sl-75drv2 with amd xp 1700+ and 512mb pc2100 ddr ram.......the board is great, very stable and fast, and the different between drv2 and drv4 is the first one supports ata100 while the second one ata133, and in order to tuilize the ata133 you should buy only maxtor d740x as this is the only drive which supports ata133.

wish if there was UnDo in the life