Sign in with
Your question

A7m266 after post prob

Last response: in Motherboards
January 23, 2002 7:51:43 AM

Hello,

Just put together a new system based around an asus7m266 mobo. The sytem boots without beeps, posts correctly and the bios recognises all drives. I am trying to boot from floopy but regardless if a boot disk is in the drive or not after post it changes to the next screen with cpu and irq info and hangs, "no insert system disk" style messages, the drive is never accessed. The floppy is first in boot order. Can anyone shed any light?

Cheers Symon

Sytem:
a7m266 mobo
xp2000+
512Mb Crucial registered
2x40Gb Desktar IBM HD
Yamahe 2200e CDRW IDE
CD-Rom IDE
Marian Marc4 Sound
Matrox G450 Gfx

More about : a7m266 post prob

January 23, 2002 8:14:48 AM

I'd pull all extra stuff off (sound card, NIC, IDE cables, etc) the MB, reseat the other stuff (floppy cable, RAM, video card) and see what happens. Make sure RAM and video card are FULLY inserted.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
January 23, 2002 9:44:07 AM

If you can, I would burn the system disk onto a CD, them boot from cd first in the bios. If that will allow a full boot up, then you can play around with the floppy from desk-top.
Also, I have noticed that when you make a system disk, it has to be made on the exact computer and OS your gonna boot with later. I have made system disks on friends computer with similar specs (amd ddr) and the same OS, but their system disks wouldnt work on my pc. (read: hangs on boot-up).
Saw similar behavior as yours on another PC. In that case there was several things wrong. First the memory wasnt seated right. After a good seat, it still wouldnt boot cuz now the memory fried. lastly, the FSB was set wrong. The manual said put the switches on the mobo a certain way. The manual was wrong. The dipswitch instructions printed on the board itself were the correct ones. Play with the FSB dip switches and set them LOWER, and see if it will POST then.
Or just do what I did... Take a giant pee on the mobo and then power it on. Watch the sparks fly and takes pictures :) 
Related resources
January 23, 2002 10:46:23 AM

Cheers for your help, but the mobo passes the post fine, bios recognises the memory, display is fine, auto detects all IDE drives, and the correct amount of RAM, it just doesn't even try to boot or ask for a system disk. Any other ideas?, thanks.
January 23, 2002 11:02:33 AM

it is a new system so I assume you`ve fdisked the hard drive? if this is the case, did you remember to set the first partition active, if you didn`t it won`t boot and will give this error, if this is the case boot off your bootdisk run fdisk and set the partition active using option 3, this will not delete any data off the partition.

also is it detecting the hdd in BIOS? if not you may have jumpers set incorrectly or as I recently found out and you have an 80conductor cable master needs to be on the first connector & slave on the second.. took ne nearly an hour to figure that out....
January 23, 2002 12:04:58 PM

It is a new system and no I haven't FDISK the drives yet as I can't boot, the drives are sharing the primary IDE channel with an 80 way connector master/slave connections jumpers are correct.
January 23, 2002 12:26:56 PM

There's your problem. You have to boot off a floppy, and then fdisk the drives.

January 23, 2002 1:06:41 PM

I know I need to boot from floppy (set first in boot order)but the system makes no attempt to access any drive after posting. It goes to the next screen detailing cpu, mem, irqs etc and then hangs(actually does lock up). I would expect an "insert system disk and press any key"
January 23, 2002 1:06:41 PM

I know I need to boot from floppy (set first in boot order)but the system makes no attempt to access any drive after posting. It goes to the next screen detailing cpu, mem, irqs etc and then hangs(actually does lock up). I would expect an "insert system disk and press any key"
January 23, 2002 1:35:31 PM

Check your floppy cable. Is it reversed? is it seated well?

January 23, 2002 1:40:19 PM

do you have a cd you can boot from perhaps.....
January 23, 2002 1:49:02 PM

I have bootable cds but the main problem is that it just hangs after post, it doesn't even attempt to access any drives to boot from.
January 23, 2002 4:00:57 PM

it sounds at though things are set up right, if it won`t boot off floppy or cd I would be tempeted to say it is a bad mobo, try putting the floppy in your own machine and make sure it works ok. if it does and your bios is set up right (1.44Mb floppy on a drive, boot sequence from floppy first) and there is nothing wrong with the way the fdd is connected, (the light will be permanently on if the connector is wrong way round, and the connector after the twist is the one to connect) then it must be your mobo....
January 23, 2002 5:33:59 PM

Check your BIOS settings that you didn't disable floppy drive or its controller, and make sure floppy is selected to boot first.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
January 23, 2002 6:48:47 PM

I have now stripped the system down to just one ddr 256Mb, matrox gfx card, and floppy drive. And still it posts recognises whats going on gets to the pci config/irq assignment screen and it hangs.... Im running an xp2000+, I now the mobo still needs a bios update to take full advantage (266 FSB, XP compatible) would this be causing a problem?
January 23, 2002 7:09:05 PM

I have solved the problem, after doing some research it seems that that a7m266 is only xp compatible after rev 1005, I have rev1004a which means that it doesnt support 266 FSB or XP CPUS (at the moment) even though my supplier advertised it as a 266 board. The update will solve the problem, but of course I cant boot the board to update it so I am shitted upon. At least the bios is not soldered to the board so I am going to have to harass my supplier or ASUS for a replacement chip. fxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxck!
January 23, 2002 7:49:54 PM

Quote:
I have rev1004a which means that it doesnt support 266 FSB or XP CPUS (at the moment)

I'm not sure it'd support XP, but it does support <b><A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7m266/overview.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>266FSB</A></b></font color=red>.

>><b>Spec Summary</b>

<i>. Supports AMD® AthlonTM / DuronTM 550MHz~1GHz+
. 2 x DIMM support for 2GB PC2100/PC1600 DDR SDRAM View CMTL Certified Memory
. AGP Pro/4X/2X/1X
. Ultra DMA 100/66/33 support
. 4 x PCI and 1 x PCI/AMR
. Up to 4 USB Ports max.
. <font color=blue><b>266MHz Front Side Bus </b></font color=blue>
. Stepless Frequency Selection
. ASUS PC Health MonitoringTM and ASUS PC ProbeTM software</i><<

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
January 24, 2002 6:25:07 AM

The A7M266 does support XP with the bios later than .1005, the 266Mhz FSB was also part of this update which is why I bought the board as it was advertised with 266 FSB so "I must be getting the latest version" doh! My problem is now how to get the machine to boot so I can flash the bios, my only solution at the moment is to by a cheap duron, fit that boot, flash, then remove it but thats £50 when you include the heatsink and fan! Has anyone got any solutions or ways round this problem to boot the system??????
January 26, 2002 2:34:07 AM

From what I read over at amdmb.com, using a non-XP chip seems to be the only solution to flash the bios to 1005. Cheapest solution would be to have a friend with a non-XP chip or perhaps you can go to some friendly computer store...

When you do get your bios flashed to 1005 make sure to set the "slew rate" value to 1 for an XP chip, 3 is for non-XP.

-----
It's a shame we have only one soul to sell...
!