No CD Audio on Dell laptop

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b D Laptop
August 30, 2005 5:03:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a Dell Dimension D800 laptop that has no CD audio. All other
audio seems to work fine.

A "CD Audio" slider does not appear when I right-click and select "Open
Volume Controls", nor does it appear as an option that can be added via
that dialog's Properties (only "Volume Control", "Wave", and "SW Synth"
appear as options.)

I've updated the audio drivers to the latest from Dell, no help.

A coworker has the identical laptop: his CD audio works and he has the
slider present.

I tried doing a diff between part of his registry and mine, and found a
"DisableCDIn" setting. On his laptop this was value 0 while on mine it
was 1. I changed this to 0 and rebooted but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

More about : audio dell laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 12:20:32 AM

<graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension D800 laptop that has no CD audio. All other
> audio seems to work fine.
>
> A "CD Audio" slider does not appear when I right-click and select "Open
> Volume Controls", nor does it appear as an option that can be added via
> that dialog's Properties (only "Volume Control", "Wave", and "SW Synth"
> appear as options.)
>
> I've updated the audio drivers to the latest from Dell, no help.
>
> A coworker has the identical laptop: his CD audio works and he has the
> slider present.
>
> I tried doing a diff between part of his registry and mine, and found a
> "DisableCDIn" setting. On his laptop this was value 0 while on mine it
> was 1. I changed this to 0 and rebooted but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Is this a work laptop? If so, your IT staff may have installed a policy
that prevents this.

Tom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 4:12:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension D800 laptop that has no CD audio. All other
> audio seems to work fine.
>
> A "CD Audio" slider does not appear when I right-click and select "Open
> Volume Controls", nor does it appear as an option that can be added via
> that dialog's Properties (only "Volume Control", "Wave", and "SW Synth"
> appear as options.)
>
> I've updated the audio drivers to the latest from Dell, no help.
>
> A coworker has the identical laptop: his CD audio works and he has the
> slider present.
>
> I tried doing a diff between part of his registry and mine, and found a
> "DisableCDIn" setting. On his laptop this was value 0 while on mine it
> was 1. I changed this to 0 and rebooted but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

It's hardly a solution to the problem but you could play your CDs with
something like Windows Media Player, which AFAIK reads the sound from the CD
and plays it through the regular Wave output, instead of just telling the
CD-ROM to play as, say, Winamp does. It should be unaffected by your
problem.
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 5:01:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I think you might need to enable cd audio for the cd rom. Find the cd rom
in device manager and tick the `enable CD digital audio for this cd rom
device` box on its properties sheet.

Hope that works.

<graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Dimension D800 laptop that has no CD audio. All other
> audio seems to work fine.
>
> A "CD Audio" slider does not appear when I right-click and select "Open
> Volume Controls", nor does it appear as an option that can be added via
> that dialog's Properties (only "Volume Control", "Wave", and "SW Synth"
> appear as options.)
>
> I've updated the audio drivers to the latest from Dell, no help.
>
> A coworker has the identical laptop: his CD audio works and he has the
> slider present.
>
> I tried doing a diff between part of his registry and mine, and found a
> "DisableCDIn" setting. On his laptop this was value 0 while on mine it
> was 1. I changed this to 0 and rebooted but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 11:48:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi Tom,

Yes, it's a work laptop, and everyone around me has the same model.
And I agree, I first assumed it was a policy, but the fact that some
people have the capability and some do not (including myself), coupled
with the fact that our IT folks have assured us of no such policy,
prompted me to ask here.

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 11:49:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tried that already, but thanks for the suggestion.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 31, 2005 12:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I will give that a try, thanks very much.
February 3, 2013 9:33:14 AM

I just got a Xbox Live card code for free! :D  freexboxlive.cc
!