asus tuslc-2

G

I have recently installed a new mobo (asus tusl2-c) which had pretty good reviews. I am still having a few problems. Hopefully somebody can help.
Specs
win2k
866 MHZ
512 MB
64MB Radeon
creative sound
RealTek nic

1. Unknown PCI device - there is an unknown pci device still showing up even after everything has been installed. I have tried every cd (win2k, sound, video,etc) to see if I could find it this way, no luck. I have uninstalled to see if it would come in better this way. No luck. Any ideas what this might be?

2. Power Management - ACPI HAL - win2k does not want to load the ACPI HAL and the machine will hang just as the power is meant to go off. There was a long thread earlier in the group about reinstalling win2k with winnt32 to do an upgrade to the existing installation. This worked for about three shutdowns and now I am back to the same result. If I just go with a standard HAL will this affect anything else other than how the machine shuts down?

Sorry for the long posting but it's been a rocky trip.

Thanks

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Did you install a PCI modem ?? if so this could be the unknown device .. check to see if there is a problem in device manager ( ! ) next to it.. if so when win asks for driver for the unknown device point it to the modem driver .. as for win2k and the HAL: apci problem .. I can't help ya there but I bet someone here can

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>

G

Thanks for the reply, but there is no modem on the machine. All PCI cards are accounted for. There is an (!) beside the pci device, but it falls under the unknown devices.

God I love forums, you know the expression that two heads are better than one, well this is like a multiheaded knowledge bank.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Is the Nic installed properly ? and the sound card .. that is do they work ?? obviously the system is finding a device w\o a driver .. are there onboard devices that need to be disabled in the bios like an onboard nic or soundcard ?

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Computers run on smoke, I let the smoke out of mine and it quit working </b> </font color=blue>

G

All the PCI devices are functioning fine. There is no onboard sound or nic on this board. I am sorry I cannot offer more than that, as far as I can see everything is installed correctly.

G

just purchased 2 of the same bords.
make shure you turn off the modem and sound in the bios.
yes i know it does not have it on board.
ut turn it off anyhow.

AMIGA DE For the digital age
PEACE LOVE LINUX