Difference between Win and MSN Messenger?

mack

Whats the difference between Win Messenger 4.5 and MSN Messenger 6.2? Why
does MS make two products that have almost the same name that do (it appears
to me) the same thing? Do they actually work that much differently?
Mack

Greetings Mack,

There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for
display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the
most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed
on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whats the difference between Win Messenger 4.5 and MSN Messenger 6.2? Why
> does MS make two products that have almost the same name that do (it appears
> to me) the same thing? Do they actually work that much differently?
> Mack

Great response Jonathan,

The Windows Messenger client is to be our Corporate implementation across
the enterprise while the MSN client is available for the greater public.

Thanks

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Mack,
>
> There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for
> display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
> different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
> services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the
> most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
> personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed
> on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
> Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
>
> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whats the difference between Win Messenger 4.5 and MSN Messenger 6.2? Why
> > does MS make two products that have almost the same name that do (it appears
> > to me) the same thing? Do they actually work that much differently?
> > Mack

Hi Adrian,

That's exactly how it's supposed to work :)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Adrian Anderson [Corporate Consultant]" <Adrian Anderson [Corporate
Consultant]@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Great response Jonathan,
>
> The Windows Messenger client is to be our Corporate implementation across
> the enterprise while the MSN client is available for the greater public.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Greetings Mack,
>>
>> There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support
>> for
>> display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
>> different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
>> services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using
>> the
>> most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
>> personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be
>> installed
>> on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
>> Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
>>
>> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN
>> Mobile,
>> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
>> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whats the difference between Win Messenger 4.5 and MSN Messenger 6.2? Why
>> > does MS make two products that have almost the same name that do (it appears
>> > to me) the same thing? Do they actually work that much differently?
>> > Mack

Was easier when there was basically one version :)
of course I remember when I only had 4k of memory and was using bytes lol