Difference between Win and MSN Messenger?

Whats the difference between Win Messenger 4.5 and MSN Messenger 6.2? Why
does MS make two products that have almost the same name that do (it appears
to me) the same thing? Do they actually work that much differently?
Mack
4 answers Last reply
More about difference messenger

    Greetings Mack,

    There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for
    display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
    different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
    services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the
    most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
    personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed
    on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whats the difference between Win Messenger 4.5 and MSN Messenger 6.2? Why
    > does MS make two products that have almost the same name that do (it appears
    > to me) the same thing? Do they actually work that much differently?
    > Mack

    Great response Jonathan,

    The Windows Messenger client is to be our Corporate implementation across
    the enterprise while the MSN client is available for the greater public.

    Thanks

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings Mack,
    >
    > There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for
    > display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
    > different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
    > services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the
    > most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
    > personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed
    > on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    > Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >
    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Whats the difference between Win Messenger 4.5 and MSN Messenger 6.2? Why
    > > does MS make two products that have almost the same name that do (it appears
    > > to me) the same thing? Do they actually work that much differently?
    > > Mack

    Hi Adrian,

    That's exactly how it's supposed to work :)
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Adrian Anderson [Corporate Consultant]" <Adrian Anderson [Corporate
    Consultant]@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Great response Jonathan,
    >
    > The Windows Messenger client is to be our Corporate implementation across
    > the enterprise while the MSN client is available for the greater public.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings Mack,
    >>
    >> There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support
    >> for
    >> display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
    >> different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
    >> services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using
    >> the
    >> most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
    >> personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be
    >> installed
    >> on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    >> Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >>
    >> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN
    >> Mobile,
    >> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    >> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Whats the difference between Win Messenger 4.5 and MSN Messenger 6.2? Why
    >> > does MS make two products that have almost the same name that do (it appears
    >> > to me) the same thing? Do they actually work that much differently?
    >> > Mack

    Was easier when there was basically one version :)
    of course I remember when I only had 4k of memory and was using bytes lol

    > Hi Adrian,
    >
    > That's exactly how it's supposed to work :)
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "Adrian Anderson [Corporate Consultant]" <Adrian Anderson [Corporate
    > Consultant]@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Great response Jonathan,
    >>
    >> The Windows Messenger client is to be our Corporate implementation across
    >> the enterprise while the MSN client is available for the greater public.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Greetings Mack,
    >>>
    >>> There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN
    >>> Messenger 6 has support for
    >>> display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
    >>> different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based
    >>> communications
    >>> services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if
    >>> you're simply using the
    >>> most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger
    >>> service) and a matter of
    >>> personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger
    >>> must still be installed
    >>> on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality
    >>> (Remote Assistance,
    >>> Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >>>
    >>> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    >>> Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    >>> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
    >>> (Exchange Server,
    >>> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >>> Jonathan Kay
    >>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    >>> Associate Expert
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    >>> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    >>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
    >>> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    >>>

    >>> "Mack" <Mack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP