Messenger Voice & Video Problems

Josh

Hello,

I bought a Logitech Quickcam Orbit several months ago and
have been unable to successfully transmit a voice and
video messages to a family members' computer. Both
computers are running Windows XP with SP2, and Windows
Messenger versions 4.7.3000. Firewalls on both computers
have been configured to allow WM & UPnP. In addition, my
computer runs through a Linsky's BEFSR41 Ver. 2 router
that has UPnP enabled.

When a voice & video conversation is initiated from my
computer, it trys to connect, and then gives a
message; "There is a problem with the network you are
trying to reach, please try again later".

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Josh

I have the exact same problem and have been racking my
brains along with others who want to video with me for
quite some time. It seems this is a common problem, but
nobody has the answer

TO add to the pain, mine used to work for about a year
using win messenger 4.7 and XP SP1. Somewhere in the past
month it stopped. Now I can't connect audio or video with
win messenger and I can only connect video with MSN 6.2.
I see many many people post this type of problem, but
nobody ever seems to answer it. Like the 800 pound
gorilla in the corner, is everybody ignoring what seems
to be a very common problem.

I used to do this successfully through my Linksys
befw11s4 all the time. I have UPnP installed on the
router and on XP Firewall. I have allowed messenger to
pass through the firewall. I have tried it plugged
directly into my DSL modem, bypassing the router. Nothing
makes a difference. Adding insult, I can get audio and
video with Yahoo, but that is not the solution I am
looking for. I now have Win messenger 5.1. Still no luck.
The people I am trying to chat with have the exact same
setup.

Josh, You have probably done this but go through it again to be sure and
have your family members do the same. Not sure if it will help but it's
worth a try. If it works, please let us know. Afterword, also try reversing
the predure and have your family member initiate the contact from their side.
Mackenrick

To install the UPnP user interface:
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Components list, select the Networking Services check box, and then
click Details.
Make sure the UPnP User Interface check box is selected.
To enable the UPnP framework:
Open Windows Firewall.
Enable UPnP technology, on the Exceptions tab by selecting the UPnP
framework check box.
To enable UPnP network functionality:
Open Windows Firewall.
On the General tab, click On (recommended). Make sure the "Don’t Allow
Exceptions" box is NOT checked).
Click the Exceptions tab.
Select the UPnP framework check box, and then click OK.
Left click on UPnP framework so it is highlighted in blue and select Edit.
There should be a check mark in front of both items (TCP 2869 and UDP 1900).
Left click on 2869 so it is highlighted in blue and select change scope and
put a green dot in front of “Any Computer� and select OK.
Left click on 1900 so it is highlighted in blue and select change scope and
put a green dot in front of “Any Computer� and select OK.

Hope this helps, MacKenrick

"Josh" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I bought a Logitech Quickcam Orbit several months ago and
> have been unable to successfully transmit a voice and
> video messages to a family members' computer. Both
> computers are running Windows XP with SP2, and Windows
> Messenger versions 4.7.3000. Firewalls on both computers
> have been configured to allow WM & UPnP. In addition, my
> computer runs through a Linsky's BEFSR41 Ver. 2 router
> that has UPnP enabled.
>
> When a voice & video conversation is initiated from my
> computer, it trys to connect, and then gives a
> message; "There is a problem with the network you are
> trying to reach, please try again later".
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'll put my two cents in as I went through this a couple months ago.

Apparently there is a limitiation with the number of Network Address
Translations you can do with MSN Messenger which may cause problems with
voice, video or both. This limitation is not present in Windows Messenger,
but is in MSN Messenger.

The two ways around the problem I have found are:

Run Windows Messenger versus MSN Messenger.
Remove the Router/Firewall and connect direct to the internet while using
MSN Messenger.

Neither are great but they do work for me.

Brad

"Mackenrick" wrote:

> Josh, You have probably done this but go through it again to be sure and
> have your family members do the same. Not sure if it will help but it's
> worth a try. If it works, please let us know. Afterword, also try reversing
> the predure and have your family member initiate the contact from their side.
> Mackenrick
>
> To install the UPnP user interface:
> Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
> Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
> In the Components list, select the Networking Services check box, and then
> click Details.
> Make sure the UPnP User Interface check box is selected.
> To enable the UPnP framework:
> Open Windows Firewall.
> Enable UPnP technology, on the Exceptions tab by selecting the UPnP
> framework check box.
> To enable UPnP network functionality:
> Open Windows Firewall.
> On the General tab, click On (recommended). Make sure the "Don’t Allow
> Exceptions" box is NOT checked).
> Click the Exceptions tab.
> Select the UPnP framework check box, and then click OK.
> Left click on UPnP framework so it is highlighted in blue and select Edit.
> There should be a check mark in front of both items (TCP 2869 and UDP 1900).
> Left click on 2869 so it is highlighted in blue and select change scope and
> put a green dot in front of “Any Computer� and select OK.
> Left click on 1900 so it is highlighted in blue and select change scope and
> put a green dot in front of “Any Computer� and select OK.
>
> Hope this helps, MacKenrick
>

> "Josh" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I bought a Logitech Quickcam Orbit several months ago and
> > have been unable to successfully transmit a voice and
> > video messages to a family members' computer. Both
> > computers are running Windows XP with SP2, and Windows
> > Messenger versions 4.7.3000. Firewalls on both computers
> > have been configured to allow WM & UPnP. In addition, my
> > computer runs through a Linsky's BEFSR41 Ver. 2 router
> > that has UPnP enabled.
> >
> > When a voice & video conversation is initiated from my
> > computer, it trys to connect, and then gives a
> > message; "There is a problem with the network you are
> > trying to reach, please try again later".
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Josh

I've done this and had the party on the other end do the
same. We have each plugged directly into our modems, both
have XP UPnP instaled and on, and Both used the exact
same version of Windows Messenger.

When we do MSN messenger 6.2 we get solid video, but no
audio. We can do this through the routers as well, but
nothing on windows messenger.

I know you weren't addressing me, but I have the same
problem as Josh

-
>> To enable UPnP network functionality:
>> Open Windows Firewall.
>> On the General tab, click On (recommended). Make sure
the "Donâ?Tt Allow
>> Exceptions" box is NOT checked).
>> Click the Exceptions tab.
>> Select the UPnP framework check box, and then click OK.
>> Left click on UPnP framework so it is highlighted in
blue and select Edit.
>> There should be a check mark in front of both items
(TCP 2869 and UDP 1900).
>> Left click on 2869 so it is highlighted in blue and
select change scope and
>> put a green dot in front of â?oAny Computerâ? and
select OK.
>> Left click on 1900 so it is highlighted in blue and
select change scope and
>> put a green dot in front of â?oAny Computerâ? and
select OK.

>> Hope this helps, MacKenrick
>>

>> "Josh" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I bought a Logitech Quickcam Orbit several months
ago and
>> > have been unable to successfully transmit a voice
and
>> > video messages to a family members' computer. Both
>> > computers are running Windows XP with SP2, and
Windows
>> > Messenger versions 4.7.3000. Firewalls on both
computers
>> > have been configured to allow WM & UPnP. In
addition, my
>> > computer runs through a Linsky's BEFSR41 Ver. 2
router
>> > that has UPnP enabled.
>> >
>> > When a voice & video conversation is initiated from
my
>> > computer, it trys to connect, and then gives a
>> > message; "There is a problem with the network you
are
>> > trying to reach, please try again later".
>> >
>> > What am I missing?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Josh
>> >
>.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I don't think UPNP is the problem, though please post if it does solve your
problem - I'll try it again.

I ran into this a couple months ago and apparently MSN messenger has a limit
on how many Network Address Translations you can do between the two
connections. Windows Messenger is apparently more tolerant of this.

The two ways I've gotten around this problem are:
Use Windows Messenger instead of MSN Messenger
Remove the Router/Firewall and connect direct to the internet.

Neither of these is all that great. Hopefully a later version of MSN
Messenger will solve this.

Good Luck

"Mackenrick" wrote:

> Josh, You have probably done this but go through it again to be sure and
> have your family members do the same. Not sure if it will help but it's
> worth a try. If it works, please let us know. Afterword, also try reversing
> the predure and have your family member initiate the contact from their side.
> Mackenrick
>
> To install the UPnP user interface:
> Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
> Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
> In the Components list, select the Networking Services check box, and then
> click Details.
> Make sure the UPnP User Interface check box is selected.
> To enable the UPnP framework:
> Open Windows Firewall.
> Enable UPnP technology, on the Exceptions tab by selecting the UPnP
> framework check box.
> To enable UPnP network functionality:
> Open Windows Firewall.
> On the General tab, click On (recommended). Make sure the "Don’t Allow
> Exceptions" box is NOT checked).
> Click the Exceptions tab.
> Select the UPnP framework check box, and then click OK.
> Left click on UPnP framework so it is highlighted in blue and select Edit.
> There should be a check mark in front of both items (TCP 2869 and UDP 1900).
> Left click on 2869 so it is highlighted in blue and select change scope and
> put a green dot in front of “Any Computer� and select OK.
> Left click on 1900 so it is highlighted in blue and select change scope and
> put a green dot in front of “Any Computer� and select OK.
>
> Hope this helps, MacKenrick
>

> "Josh" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I bought a Logitech Quickcam Orbit several months ago and
> > have been unable to successfully transmit a voice and
> > video messages to a family members' computer. Both
> > computers are running Windows XP with SP2, and Windows
> > Messenger versions 4.7.3000. Firewalls on both computers
> > have been configured to allow WM & UPnP. In addition, my
> > computer runs through a Linsky's BEFSR41 Ver. 2 router
> > that has UPnP enabled.
> >
> > When a voice & video conversation is initiated from my
> > computer, it trys to connect, and then gives a
> > message; "There is a problem with the network you are
> > trying to reach, please try again later".
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Josh

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Greg,
My son has a notebook computer with Win XP Home SP2, Windows Firewall,
Windows Messenger 4.7.3000 and MSN Messenger 6.2 and connects to ISPs via an
ADSL connection.
From his home address (UK) both Windows & MSN Messengers function WITHOUT
audio or video problems. When he visits the US (Cincinnati, Ohio) he gets
similar error messages (to those quoted by OP) with Windows Messenger
although MSN Messenger still operates normally.
Now the only difference between Windows Messenger operating normally an
failing is the ISP.