MB/CPU Combo Question

G

I am building a system and I would like to use the 1Ghz Celeron (256k od) and Intel D815EPEA2 motherboard. Is this a supported combo? I'm getting some conflicting info on this.

Also, the description of the chip, from where I am getting it, lists this Celeron as a "FCPGA2". What does that mean?

Thanks!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1 GHz Celeron is only Coppermine FCPGA processor having 128 L2 cache, so it can work with the D815EPEA2 board, newer FCPGA2 Celeron debuted at 1.2 GHz. See this <A HREF="http://developer.intel.com/design/celeron/prodbref/" target="_new">Celeron overview page</A>.

FCPGA2 is a new type of processor packaging introduced with the new core - Tualatin which provoides larger L2 cache and performs better than its predecessor.

In any case, buy a Intel D815EPEA2<b>U</b> motherboard, it will support both FCPGA (Coppermine) as well as FCPGA2 (Tualatin core based) processors.

You might consider buying the Asus TUSL2-C since it supports overclocking by which you can get free performance quite easily! uying a 1.2 GHz Celeron, based on 0.13u process is just an entry into the range. It has 256k L2 cache and 100 MHz FSB. It can be overclocked to as high as 1.6 GHz by merely switching the FSB to 133 MHz, then you can have an equivalent of a full fledged P-III/256k L2 running at 1.6 GHz! Just that with Celeron going 256k L2, P-IIIs have already switched to 512k!!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>